Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

Thousand of processes appear

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Windows 7 64 bit

Installed WaykNow and clicked on the icon, my PC slowed down considerably and after a few minutes I checked processes to see 5,000 + WaykNow processes and rapidly rising.

I tried to stop some of them and the numbers came down in chunks and then started to go back up but more slowly.

In the end I rebooted and removed the programme.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance - Terry

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

Which version of Windows 7 do you run? You can type Winver in command line.
Also which version of RDM did you installed and it was the exe, msi (x86) or msi (x64).

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Good afternoon David.

Windows 7 Professional
V6.1 build 7601 SP1

Thanks - Terry

Clock2 yrs

Thanks

Sorry I ask you for RDM version but it was Wayk Now what I was looking for.

Which version of Wayk Now did you installed and it was the exe, msi (x86) or msi (x64).

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I downloaded the msi wayknow-x64.2.1.1.0.

Thanks - Terry

Clock2 yrs

Hi Terry

Thanks for the bug report. I'm able to reproduce the issue here and will work on a fix.

By default, Wayk Now tries to request administrator access when it launches. In some circumstances on Windows 7, this can fail and cause us to get stuck in a loop (as you have seen).

In the meantime, the workaround is to disable this prompt for extra privileges. Unfortunately, because you cannot start the app, you cannot open the settings screen to turn it off.

I've attached a default configuration file that turns that setting off. You can try installing the application again; but before you run it, copy the attached file into:

C:\users\[your user name]\appdata\roaming\wayk

Note that the AppData folder is hidden by default; you will need to either "Show Hidden Files" or type the path directly into the address bar. If the Wayk directory does not exist, you can go ahead and create it.

Let me know if you have further problems or questions

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

WaykNow.cfg
Clock2 yrs

Hi Terry,

As a follow up question: what are your UAC settings? (You can check in Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control settings)

Thanks, Richard

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks Richard.

That would make sense as we have locked down our PCs via GP so that you have to initiate something needing admin rights with a shift-left mouse run as different user.

I will try that config (and answer your supplementary question) when I get to the office later.

Thanks - Terry

p.s. when I went to uninstall, that needed admin rights as well of course, logging in as an admin didn't work as WN had only installed under my account. I got around it by running the installation again as admin and using the uninstall option from that.

Clock2 yrs

It's locked down by Group Policy Richard.

Richard Markiewicz wrote:

Hi Terry,

As a follow up question: what are your UAC settings? (You can check in Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control settings)

Thanks, Richard

Clock2 yrs

Hello Terry

Thanks for the follow up.

When you use the "Run as different user" to run as admin, does it open a UAC prompt? If so, you can use that option to launch Wayk Now the first time, and then in the options dialog deselect "Prompt to elevate program permissions".

I have, however, fixed this internally and that will be available in the next release.

Thanks!

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I will check tomorrow.

In the meantime, I noticed that if I select to customise the installation options the option to install to a different sub directory seems to disappear:

Clock2 yrs

Hi Terry,

The path for "Wayk Now Remote Desktop Services" cannot be changed, as it is installed globally on the system and we don't support a custom path for it. I checked and you can still correctly change the installation path for the "Wayk Now" component.

"Wayk Now Remote Desktop Services" is an experimental component that injects itself inside Remote Desktop Services to work around a common (annoying) issue: the black screen inside an RDP session when the RDP client is minimized. Since it is experimental, it is not installed by default, but it is there for people who want to try and use it. If you don't know about the RDP black screen issue, this experimental feature is useful to you at this point.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks for that.

It was just that I found if I went to the next screen and then went back, the path entry option was available and did seem to be able to be altered. I may be mistaken. I try to install programmes to the D: which was the nly reason that I was trying to alter the default directory.

Thanks again - Terry

Clock2 yrs

Hi Terry

Wayk Now 2.1.2 is now available for download, and includes a fix for this specific issue. Let us know if you have further issues, comments or suggestions smile

Thanks again,

Richard Markievicz

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks Richard.

Best regards - Terry

Clock2 yrs