Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Secret Server Integration - Select which password on the secret

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Folks,

Having a sort of problem with the secret server integration. It's working as its supposed to but some of our secrets templates in secret server have 2 password fields. RDM will always pull back the last password in the secret but the first user name.

So in my example attached it would try to log in as "First User"(guessing cause it looks for a field called username) with a password of "Second Password"(guessing cause its the last password type field) can you guys look at making that selectable some how in rdm, or atleast send "First User" "First Password"? First option is preferable as second one I'll have to go through all our stuff that has 2 passwords and split them in to 2 secrets.

Works fine if you've only got 1 username/password field.

Regards,
Craig

1.jpg
Clock5 mths

Hello,

Firstly, I will move your feature request into the Remote Desktop Manager feature request section.

Secondly, I will have a look at this with our engineering department and we will get back to you.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

Clock5 mths

Hello Craig,

I looked at how our integration works and it should be possible. Currently, the first password field we find we use as the password in RDM. For the username, we check for either "Username" or "User logon" names.

I think that if we allow the user to customize the searched fields it would work for your case and be a good catch-all for the future. What do you think?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Hubert,

That sounds like a great idea, should work for connections where we define the secret server credential in it.

Not sure how well it would work for the pick from list secret server option, as I don't know how you'd define the search fields since you can pick any secret template (not an issue for us as the ones we use pick from list on only have 1 user/pass in the secret). Could just leave pick from list using the first user/pass it finds.

It's definitely using the second(or last if its iterating through a loop, haven't tested that) password field in the secret though. Cause if i have a blank second password field(doesn't matter what its named) it doesn't pull the password, if I cut paste from the first field to the second it pulls the password.

Cheers,
Craig

Clock5 mths

Hello Craig,

Sorry I took a while, but I've made a few changes internally, specifically the following:

1. Added a "password field" box in the advanced settings of the secret server entry. If you specify something in the box, it will try to use this field as a password field. I tested with a custom Secret Template with 3+ password fields (you never know smile ) and it works well.
2. RDM will also now take the first found password in the entry, instead of the last (it stops checking after the first).

With these two changes I think it will make things work for your use case. If I misunderstood anything or if it doesn't work as expected, just let me know.
The changes should be available once RDM 13.6.7.0 is out.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Sounds Great, thanks for that Hubert.

I'm going on leave for 2 weeks after today, so if it's released when I get back I'll check it out and post back.

Regards,
Craig

Clock4 mths

Hi Hubert,

Back from holidays and got time to update my rdm to 13.6.7.0. Did it make it in to this version I'm not seeing it on the advanced tab upset

Cheers,
Craig

Clock4 mths

Unfortunately we didn't get to put it in 13.6.7.0 as originally planned but it should be in the next build which will be released soon. Sorry about that.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths