Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

DVLS Web slow to show Vault content

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

When we login to the web client in DVLS and click on Vaults it takes about 30-35 seconds to display the content tree of the vault which doesn´t sound correct.

We use ActiveDirectory domain accounts to log in and roles to set rights in the content tree

When logging in with Admin user it takes about 3 seconds

Doing the same with RDM client it takes about 7 seconds with both domain accounts and admin account

Making my domain user temporary as Administrator the time is reduced to about 3 seconds in the web client

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I have a few questions to ask to troubleshoot this behavior.

What version of DVLS are you using?

How many entries do you have in your DVLS instance?

How many roles are used to set permissions on folders and/or entries?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Erica

DVLS 5.1.1.0 , 2480 entries and 7 roles

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I am able to reproduce this behavior on our side with a data source that contains around 6000 entries. Like I tought and according to one of our engineer, the permissions applied on the entries for non-admin user account take much more time to load the tree no matter how many roles is used in the data source. One of our engineer has recently worked on this behavior and will be back from vacation Monday. I will have a discussion with him and will keep you in touch about his work.

For now, there is nothing we can do. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

we have a very similar issue on a customer Installation of DVLS.

We are running DVLS 5.1.1.0 with a high Performance SQL Cluster (SQL Server 11.0.6607.3) as backend.
The Vault contains about 3000 entries.
We are using AD Authentication with about 100 roles.

When I access the Vault via web, it take About 30-60 sec. to open the vault. When I access the vault via RDM it also takes that long.
When I run the performance profiling tool inside RDM and e.g. duplicate an entry, I can see this:

LoadConnections [Devolutions Password Server : S099SRV57] - 64-bit : 14065 MS

It takes 14 sec to load the Connections?

What is the reason for this?

I put the whole vault on a test-DVLS in my Office. No Problems. The difference seem to be anything with Authentication or the Roles. In my AD, we only have about 50 users.

How can I speedup the DVLS on the customer side?

Any ideas?

Clock2 yrs

Hello Holger,

Many things could have an impact over performance. To be able to identify what is causing the issue, I would need some information reports from your side.

Could you please go in Help - Submit a Support Ticket and send us both reports?

Could you please run the Profiler with the Profiler level set to 121 and then refresh the local cache file using CTRL+F5 on your keyboard? Then, please send us the report with the Send Trace to Support button. When it's done, please set the Profiler level back to 1 to avoid RDM continuously running the profiler and cause performance issue.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

the traces are uploaded!

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for the Profiler report but the information isn't relevant at all. I don't know what happened on your side but it only logs CreateConnectionStatDictionary log entries.

Could you please run it again with this time by setting the Profiler level to 113? First clear the logs to be sure that nothing is in the Profiler dialog. Then in RDM, go in File - Data Sources, select your DPS data source and click on OK. You should get something like my previous screen shot of the Profiler dialog. If you get the same report, please send it to me. And don't forget to set the level back to 1 after sending the report.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

when I copy the log to Notepad++, there are About 27.000 Lines with "CreateConnectionStateDictionary : 0 MS"

I have removed These lines from the file and attach it here …

Best regards … Holger

DVLS.log
Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for the new profiler report.

So according to the following domain authentication profiler section (DoLogin), it takes around 23 seconds just to load the AD user account and related groups. So it seems that the number of AD groups have an impact on domain account authentication with DPS.

Remote: DoLogin...
Remote: FindUser(userName) : 58 ms
Remote: FindCurrentUserInDomain : 114 ms
Remote: AuthenticationProvider.ValidateUser...
Remote: AuthenticateUser...
Remote: DoValidateUserAgainstDomain...
Remote: ProcessDomainUserInfo...
Remote: UpdateMembershipDataWithDomainUserInfo : 14344 ms
Remote: ProcessDomainUserInfo : 14385 ms
Remote: DoValidateUserAgainstDomain : 14387 ms
Remote: AuthenticateUser : 14442 ms
Remote: GetUserInfo : 30 ms
Remote: GetUser : 88 ms
Remote: Finalyze Login Attempt : 36 ms
Remote: AuthenticationProvider.ValidateUser : 14625 ms
Remote: TokenManager.CreateToken : 291 ms
Remote: UserManager.UpdateLastLoginDate : 4 ms
Remote: LoginManager.InitRoles : 6092 ms
Remote: DoLogin : 23005 ms

If you use an RDM administrator account or a Devolutions Custom account, do you experience the same slowness?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I add an DVLS Admin User and tried again. It seems a littel bit better but no amazing speedup:

It looks like an AD issue with syncing AD Groups and with authentication. Both takes a lot time.

Main thread (UI)
----------------------------------------
Executing mapping: mnuForceRefresh
Executing shortcut:mnuForceRefresh
HasOfflineSessionChanges : 0 ms
RefreshUserSecurityContext : 7958 ms
LoadConnections [Devolutions Password Server : S099SRV57] - 64-bit...
DisposeAndClearConnections : 3 ms
reload: True hasSecurityChanged: True hasChanged: True
HasOfflineChanges...
LoadConnectionsFromOfflineFile...
DeserializeData : 0 ms
ReadFromOffline : 0 ms
LoadConnectionsFromOfflineFile : 0 ms
HasOfflineSessionChanges : 0 ms
HasOfflineChanges : 0 ms
RefreshUserSecurityContext : 183 ms
DisposeAndClearConnections : 0 ms
LoadConnectionsFromDataSource...
LoadDataSourceSettingsFromDataSource...
GetDataSourceSettings : 6617 ms
LoadDataSourceSettingsFromDataSource : 6617 ms
GetConnections...
RDMS.GetConnections...
this.dataSourceSettingsConnectionData : 0 ms
ConnectionInfos.Foreach...
DecryptData : 57 ms - Count : 3844
DeserializeData : 1632 ms - Count : 3844
Log - multi-threaded : 5 ms
Decrypt - multi-threaded : 0 ms
LoadObjectFromString - multi-threaded : 0 ms
ConnectionInfos.Foreach : 1723 ms
Fetched 3844 sessions
Fetched 0 removed sessions
RDMS.GetConnections : 1724 ms
GetConnections : 1724 ms
DoMergeConnections...
PrepareConnectionList : 8 ms
Loop...
MigrateConnection : 42 ms
OfflineManager.Merge : 0 ms
MergeWithList - Contains : 0 ms
MergeWithList : 950 ms
Loop : 1274 ms
Filter : 0 ms
VerifyMissingAddons : 2 ms
DoMergeConnections : 1305 ms
LoadConnectionsFromDataSource : 9982 ms
LoadConnections [Devolutions Password Server : S099SRV57] - 64-bit : 10554 ms
Connection States: Refresh...
ClearClosedRunning : 35 ms
GetAllConnectionStates : 41 ms - Count : 3
HasChanges : 0 ms
CreateConnectionStateDictionary : 0 ms
Connection States: Refresh : 77 ms
TreeView.LoadConnectionList...
GetGroupInfos : 0 ms
BeginUpdate...
ApplyGroupCustomImages : 0 ms
LoadConnectionInTreeNode : 1672 ms
PreCreateGroups : 341 ms - Count : 1
BeginUpdate : 2018 ms
TreeView.LoadConnectionList : 2018 ms
CreateConnectionStateDictionary : 0 ms
SelectionChanged : 221 ms

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

A user account that is a member of multiple AD groups and few of them are part of nested ones, the authentication will be longer than an account that is a member of few AD groups. You could also try with an account that is only a member of the Domain Users AD group to see if the authentication time is shorter.

We should release Devolutions Password Server version 6.0 next week. The domain authentication code has been improved and this should a bit better.

If you need assistance to upgrade your DPS instance, we offer a free remote session for this process. Please contact us at ticket@devolutions.net to book an appointment.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

For your information, DPS version 6.0 is now available online.
You can download it on the following page https://server.devolutions.net/home/download

We offer a free remote session for the upgrade process. If you are interested into it, please send us an email at ticket@devolutions.net.
Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Erica

I have upgraded to DPS 6.0 and RDM 14 now and we have the slowness still after this when accessing the Vault via DVLS Web

Accessing the Vault takes about 49 seconds for normal user.
Making the same user Administrator it takes 5 seconds

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

Could you please try to enable the Domain Users and Roles cache option in the Domain tab of your DPS settings?
Please consult the following online help page for more information about it.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/settings_domain.htm

This should help a bit but the best solution is to split your main repository into smaller ones as per the following online documentation.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/repositorymanagement.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi

After enabling the Domain Users and Role cache option in the Domain tab i am unable to connect to DVLS server. Following error is given.
Unchecking the box again and i am able to login again

Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.TryGoOfflineException: DVLS server is not responding.

Unexpected exception
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.cb6f90699089bd1c9688221883b0c338f(String c18973cea236a9feff75c32ca7d1697d5, String ceb81d1ee93f91e0bc57f34876c263863, Boolean c8c947c51eb176e7175409fd081e947ab, Boolean c2de1417c23cd0676ca16f3b418d16455, Boolean cd1019342f38d18a4083300b0c0b48efb)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.c88b8bc6e236931f324b713404e90b15d(Boolean c5d807049ab3ae30aad5318fa57dc6159, String& c18973cea236a9feff75c32ca7d1697d5, String& ceb81d1ee93f91e0bc57f34876c263863, Boolean c88d1c88a1983c4218837515ad03a99d0)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.Login(Boolean useCredentials)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSWebApiClient.get_c3e2a9eaefc85e07772d691a26117253e()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSWebApiClient.ce18a34186459a94774b0658f116cce91.c49e0e32005a95753415224597668b218()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSWebApiClient.c5f4f6c72c053c0cd60a62abeeaa43fdf[cb75a0a5d15a1ad8b8a8a5e57cca214a3](c31561c0d54939abd223ac7c0cf30e7e6`1 c6cc9ab02b2ea9ccd42c7c0497677bcc2, ExecuteActionLogMode c92f46156e371279a4f61cd5822be5fee)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSWebApiClient.GetData(String proxyConnectionCacheID, Byte[] version, String repositoryID)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.GetDataSourceSettings()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ConnectionManager.c29fbd34504079a3525ca4c390d5d4074(BaseConnectionDataSource c7f28727fc7a5daa94ba08f688b2a5781)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ConnectionManager.ca4799bebd8b706f34eea94a778843b55(BaseConnectionDataSource c7f28727fc7a5daa94ba08f688b2a5781, Boolean cfe205b02d73750f8fd14d199343fe545)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ConnectionManager.LoadConnections(BaseConnectionDataSource dataSource)

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

I Setup a new test enviroment, using a new Windows 2012 R2 Installation, a Fresh Installation of DPS accessing a copy of the database running on our SQLCluster.

When I try to Login with an Domain account, I see this message inside the logs:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NullReferenceException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.ProcessDomainUserInfo(String userName, String password, LoginContext membershipLoginData)
at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUserMultiDomain(LoginContext loginData, String username, String password, UserData userData)
at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUser(LoginContext loginData, String username, String password)
at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.AuthenticateUser(LoginContext loginData, String userName, String password)
at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUserFull(LoginContext loginData, String userName, String password)
at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.DoLogin(SessionContext context, String userName, String password, ClientApplicationInfo clientApplicationInfo, String twoFactorID, TwoFactorInfo twoFactorInfo, String publicIPAddress, Byte[] sessionKey, String repositoryId, Boolean partialMode, Boolean useWindowsAuthentication, Boolean useAzureADAuthentication, String localMachineName, String localMachineUserName)
at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.Login(LoginData loginData, Boolean partialMode)
at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Access from RDM causes the same error.

Best regards … Holger

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Do you get something similar if you try to log on the web interface of your DPS instance?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

this is the log entry, when I try to Access the web Login with a Domain account.

Clock2 yrs

When i Enable the cache option and try to login via web nothing happens at the web window , but i get an error emailed to me containing the error below

I noticed though that in my test DVLS i could login today , i left the box checked yesterday. Unchecked it now saved and then checked it again and now when I try to login I get the error in RDM client, so i guess there is some time delay of some sort ?

I will try later to login again and se if and when i can login and update here.

Error:
NullReferenceException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.ProcessDomainUserInfo(String userName, String password, LoginContext membershipLoginData) at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUserAgainstDomain(LoginContext loginData, UserEntity userEntity, String password) at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUser(LoginContext loginData, String username, String password, UserData userData) at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUser(LoginContext loginData, String username, String password) at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.AuthenticateUser(LoginContext loginData, String userName, String password) at Devolutions.Server.Managers.AuthenticationProvider.DoValidateUserFull(LoginContext loginData, String userName, String password) at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.DoLogin(SessionContext context, String userName, String password, ClientApplicationInfo clientApplicationInfo, String twoFactorID, TwoFactorInfo twoFactorInfo, String publicIPAddress, Byte[] sessionKey, String repositoryId, Boolean partialMode, Boolean useWindowsAuthentication, Boolean useAzureADAuthentication, String localMachineName, String localMachineUserName) at Devolutions.Server.Controllers.APIControllers.V2.BackendApiController.Login(LoginData loginData, Boolean partialMode) at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] ) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken) --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__5.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.d__0.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.d__2.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.d__0.MoveNext() --- Default
Source:
Devolutions.Server.Common

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

@Holger and @Magnus, I am unable to reproduce this issue. Could you please send us your DPS settings using the Send Diagnostic to Support in the DPS Console? Please put a reference to that forum topic in the message box.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Sent the Diagnostic

Clock2 yrs

Sent!

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thanks to both of you. I will try to reproduce the issue using your configurations.

In the mean time, it would be preferable to disable the Domain Users and Roles cache.

I will let you know as soon as I find something.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I can't still reproduce your errors.

Do you know what are the version of your AD Forest?
We are using an AD Forest 2012R2.

@Magnus, what Windows Server version are you using?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
we have left some old Windows Server 2008 R2 DCs … so we are using AD and Forest Schema Level 2008 R2.
The Server running DPS is 2012 R2.

Best regards … Holger

Clock2 yrs

Hi

DPS server is running Windows Server 2016
AD and Forest Schema Level is 2012 R2

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

i have installed the Update to 6.0.1.0.

No changes … when AD Caching is enabled, no Login with AD credentials possible.

With AD Cache disabled, I get the error "User is not a member of the allowed group for automatic account creation."

Best regards … Holger

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thanks for the information about your own infrastructure.

@Holger, this error is because you have set an AD group in the Only from this AD Group in the Domain tab of your DPS settings. Because the user is not a member of that group, the account is not automatically created and he gets this error message. You can get more information about this property on the following online help page.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/settings_domain.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

the user is member of that group. In out old enviroment this user can logon.

Best regatds ... Holger

Clock2 yrs