Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

stop RDM external windows stealing focus when main window is selected

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

lets say you have 2 monitors.

RDM main application is on monitor 1 and you have a connection open.

You also have a separate external RDM connection that you open up on monitor 2 (not maximized), but you also have other applications on monitor 2.. like excel for example.

When you click back into the RDM main application on monitor 1... the RDM connection window on monitor 2 ALSO has focus.. which has the effect of putting itself on top of other applications you might be using on monitor 2.

How do we stop this behavior? If we focus the main RDM application window on monitor 1, we don't want any other external RDM windows to also have focus. They should be treated as completely separate windows from the main RDM application. Able to have their focus independently of the main RDM window.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

With the primary tests that I have done, I am not able to reproduce your issue.

• Is it a RDP session that it's open on the second monitor?
  • Are you opening the session in undocked mode or in external mode?
Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

very easy to reproduce.

create 2 RDP sessions (both embedded)
open both of them

drag session 2 out of the main RDM into its own separate window
move session 2 to monitor 2

open another application on monitor 2 (excel, word, anything) and focus it on monitor 2.

now go click and focus RDM on monitor 1. you will see that session 2 on monitor 2 also steals focus and puts itself on top of whatever other program you opened on monitor 2

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thank you for this information.

I have been able to reproduce this issue. I will need to talk with the engineering department in order to see if this is a bug or if it is as designed.
This behavior seems to be only present when you "undock" your entries instead of opening them in external mode.

I will notify you as soon as I have any update on that matter.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I searched to find a solution to this, and found this thread. It's been two months, any word? For me, I always run everything embedded, but sometimes as I'm doing maintenance on servers, I'll yank one out to a second monitor (I use three) so I can see things on it while I work on another (such as trying to compare things with a domain controller and such) and this loss of focus if I have another program open over the undocked window can be frustrating. I don't want them to always open undocked, so I don't use external mode since for me this is just maybe 10% of the time, so less work for me to pull out once in a while than to always have to put it back for normal work.

Would be nice if there were an option to pull out to external mode just for one instance say, even if that meant in the background it disconnected and reconnected the remote session as it was pulled out if it couldn't just switch modes dynamically.

Clock2 yrs

And guessing the second part of my comment isn't possible since I just found in another thread the following:

"This is a technological limitation from Microsoft RDP. In External Mode, we open MSTSC.exe which is the native Remote Desktop Client of Windows."

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

The issue reported by H K seem to be as designed since it only happens when you undock a session from RDM. In this scenario, every time the focus return to RDM, all windows tied to RDM, embedded and undocked, will be brought back to the foreground. As you mentioned in your last post, this behavior does not occur when launching your entry in external mode because it is launched with Windows MSTSC.exe instead of with the Microsoft ActiveX.

That being said, if sometime you wish to have one of your session open on another screen you could use the "Open (External)" button from your Dashboard. This would allow you to move this session to another window without having to change the display mode of the entry each time.
OpenExternal

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

OpenExternal.jpg
Clock2 yrs

Thanks. I assume that option is only available if it's not open yet, since the option if it's already running does nothing?

Any chance in a future version the right click from the server name in the left tree, if it's open, could launch it externally as normally and simply let the MSTSC instance take over the session that was opened in the docked position?

Since I never know when I'll need to pull one out like that, I can't do it at first launch, but if it could at least still launch MSTSC and we simply knew it would kill the docked session when it takes it over with the external program, I'd still have the same functionality.

Thanks regardless

John

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Indeed, this option won't work if the session is already running.

That being said, what you are asking might this be a feature request, kindly post it at https://forum.devolutions.net/forum17-remote-desktop-manager--feature-request.aspx

This will allow the community to demonstrate interest in your idea. We use this interest to prioritize the features we implement.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Done, thanks.

Clock2 yrs

James Lafleur wrote:

Hello,

The issue reported by H K seem to be as designed

Best regards,

Does this mean it's not going to get fixed.
It is incredibly annoying to have RDM put its windows that you pop out over other programs on other monitors. It makes working in multiple monitors very difficult.

Clock2 yrs

We will verify what we can do for sure.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs