Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

"Run As" on "Command Line (External Application)" has no effect

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

[RDM 4.6.0.0 64-bit]

Hi,

"Run As" ("Run As Different User") on "Command Line (External Application)" - cmd.exe as a trivial example - has no effect. The application is always launched under my own credentials. From what I can see RDM does not even try to verify the credentials since entering a wrong username or password results in no error.

(runas.exe works fine in RDM)

Thorsten

Clock2 yrs

Can you give me more information? I've attached a .mp4 of cmd + RunAs and it's working on my side. Maybe you could export your session for us to have a look at it.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

RunAsDemo.mp4
Clock2 yrs

Stefane,

I did as requested.

Cmd.rdm
Clock2 yrs

Thank you, all looks good in your export.

The video above was recorded this monring but on an older version of the software. Talking with the support & QA team today and it looks like a bug was introduced in the latest release. We will need to investigate and fix this ASAP.

FYI Our offices are close until July 3rd getting a new build out will be delayed a few days.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

We are having issues trying to figure out how to run MMC with runas. This is not your case. As for a trivial cmd all should work properly. I've attached an .rdm file that has both normal & runas of the following command "cmd /k whoami". Import the file, change the credentials in the runas and all should work.

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

cmd - RunAs.rdm
Clock2 yrs

Stefane,

I've imported your sessions- it's the same as described in my initial posting: ""Run As" [...] - cmd.exe as a trivial example - has no effect. The application is always launched under my own credentials. From what I can see RDM does not even try to verify the credentials since entering a wrong username or password results in no error."

Clock2 yrs

Solved...

The RunAs feature in the past has been a "Enterprise Only" feature. Recently the UI code was refactored and check for Free vs Enterprise was missed so now you see the RunAs UI in RDM Free.

The solution will be to enable RunAs in the Free version of RDM. I've made the change and will be reflected in the next release of RDM Free.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Stefane,

RDM 4.9 (Beta) is now available. The same connection ("cmd /k whoami") errors with "ERROR SILENT Der Verzeichnisname ist ungültig" (translated "the directory name is invalid"). The error seems to come from the operating system. The equivalent runas invocation runs fine.

Thorsten

Clock2 yrs

I've tested this morning with v4.9.0.0 all is working. I've attached a video.

Can you export or screen shot your sessions (no/hide credentials) for me to look at?

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

2018-09-04_9-12-58.mp4
Clock2 yrs

Sorry for not responding for a month!

I finally figured it out: I was running RDM from a substituted drive F: (F:\ -> C:\data\flash drive). When I used "cmd" with "Run As", RDM was looking for a command "C:\data\flash drive\Remote Desktop Manager\cmd.exe". The underlying reason likely is that substituted drives are per user - so there is no F:\ for the user "TEST". I confirmed that by running RDM from the non substituted drive.

The solution is to specify the full command (%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd) instead of just "cmd" when using "Run As" or not to use a substituted drive.

Clock2 yrs

Amazing investigative work and thank you for sharing.

I'm sure this information will help others in the community that might encounter same issue.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs