Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

API Prepoplutate or Bulk Import

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Support,

Would it be possible for you to create an option of prepopulating the API Account settings?
I need to add over 100 APIs for each user in RDM due to the way that Password Manager Pro works. The APIs which will be added are all the same for everyone.

Kind Regards,
Michael

Clock5 mths

Hello,

The API user in Password Manager Pro is associate to your workstation.

This mean that each user would need to add their API user associate with the workstation in File -> My Account Settings -> Password Manager Pro.

You would like to add 100 users in File -> My Account Settings -> Password Manager Pro on all your 100 RDM workstations?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello Jeff,

There is an option provided by ManageEngine to unrestrict the originating workstation.

It looks like I will have to created an API user per organisation in Password Manager Pro. With this API I can create a credential entry in RDM for each company which will pull in the AD account information.

In the end, I will end up with 100 API keys that each user of RDM (probably around 100) will have to import into the My Account Settings. This is why I would like the option to bulk import or prepopulate for my users.

I've just tried this with one api and whilst it does fetch the username and password, it does not fetch the domain name so login still fails.
Regards,
Michael

EDIT: Just realised that I need to enter the username as domain\username in PMP for it to work in RDM.
But as we use RDM in a remote desktop environment when connecting from another host it does not accept the configured API as the hostname is now different. Is it possible to disable this check from within RDM?

Clock5 mths

Hi Michael,

What I understand is in File -> My Account Settings -> Password Manager Pro you would like to import 100 APIs.

Is a import button from a CSV work for you?

pmp import

For the second questions, if I understand correctly you have a RDS infrastructure so the user can jump on multiple Host server. If so, is the variable %COMPUTERNAME% as the value in the workstation field can be good for you? This variable is a local variable that resole the computer name that you are on.

PMP Workstation

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

pmp_import.jpg
PMP_Workstation.jpg
Clock5 mths

Hi David,

Both of those suggestions are great.

Would it be possible to have a central repository rather than getting users to import?. As the API list is likely to grow overtime, it would make sense to me if there was one location that I could update which would apply to all my users.

If this is too complicated, then the suggestion above would be suitable too.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Good I had a chat with the engineering department and they will look if they could to a central repository. For reference the ticket for this features request is WIN-930.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi David,

Many thanks for this. I look forward to the update.

Is there a place to check the progress of a request?

Regards,

Michael

Clock5 mths

Hi Michael,

The update of this will be posted directly on this thread. So you could follow up the thread and as soon as we have some news you will be inform.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi David and Team,

I'm really eager to have a solution and would love if there was a beta build available that I could test with.

Regards,

Michael

Clock4 mths

Hi Michael,

I had a chat with the engineering department and it's hard to centralize the information.

But they have an idea and we would like to have your input.

What about, having a file (perhaps PMPApiKeys.cfg) located in the installation folder? When we start the application, we could load the file. We didn't test it yet, but the concern is, the encryption. Because the API keys file to be in clear text.

The value for you will be the easy deployment of this scenario.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi David,

This seems like a good idea, perhaps we could implement this and then look at another solution later down the line.

I'd just like to be able to show my management that the two solutions will work together and allow our engineers to connect without having to know credentials.

Regards,
Michael

Clock4 mths

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I sent the information to the engineering department. As soon as I have more information we will inform you.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi David,

Do you have an idea of the timeframe for this to be implemented?

We've just renewed our license on the basis that this would be available soon...

Regards,

Michael

Clock3 mths

Hi Michael,

Good news, we just release couple of days ago a Beta version of RDM 13.9.2 and this beta version include the API feature.

The feature is describe as : Added the loading of the PMPApiKeys.ext file for Password Manager Pro

You could try it in your dev environment to see if it answer the need.

You need to create a PMPApiKeys.ext in the installation folder of RDM. As soon as RDM will be launch the information will be load. Not import, so the entry will be available if you edit a PMP entry you will see the ApiKeys list.

The documentation will create a page shortly with more information but
However, please note that a database upgrade is required, so please perform the upgrade properly by following the steps in this help article
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/database_upgrade.htm
You can download this latest release here
https://remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download#Beta
Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths