Forum / Remote Desktop Manager IOS - Support

iOS - Cannot Connect to MSSQL using Integrated Security

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Did you try to work around the Mono/AD Auth issue over the past eight months, or just twiddle your thumbs while waiting for someone else to fix it? The lack of sense of urgency from your company doesn't inspire confidence.

In any event, 5.18 is out. What's the ETA for an updated Mac client?

https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/5.18.0/

Clock10 mths

Hi Steve,

The fix is not yet included in the xamarin framework but should be very soon.

I'll keep you updated for any development.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Given your lack of urgency with this issue, what assurance do we have that the next time Mono or xamarin break something that there will be a solution in a reasonable timeframe?

Clock10 mths

Hi Steve,

We have other data source types such as the Devolutions Password Server that is much more stable than the SQL Server connector provided by mono.

Once Xamarin Framework includes the newly released mono, we will test it to see if the fix is working and that nothing else broke and release a new iOS build as soon as we can.

Apple doesn't allow to install an older version of the software It would have been very useful.
Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Do you have another product that has Active Directory integration that doesn't cost us additional?

Mathieu Morrissette wrote:

Hi Steve,

We have other data source types such as the Devolutions Password Server that is much more stable than the SQL Server connector provided by mono.

Once Xamarin Framework includes the newly released mono, we will test it to see if the fix is working and that nothing else broke and release a new iOS build as soon as we can.

Apple doesn't allow to install an older version of the software It would have been very useful.
Best regards

Clock10 mths

Well, I'm specifically worried about the Mac version, but since the root cause is the same and this thread was more active I piled on here. I'd just like some assurance that the next time something breaks you'll actually take it seriously, unlike this issue. It is unreasonable that my network guy contacted you for support regarding a bug and the answer was to upgrade the client, which we had to hold back because you didn't put any effort into fixing this issue. At no time until a support chat I held yesterday were we offered any other way forward (Devolutions Server).

What I'm not clear on is if the Devolutions Server is included with our RDM license or not. If it is *not* then you're trying to upsell us after removing features that we paid for with our product. That's shady at best.

Clock10 mths

I have been upset to see that this issue is still not resolved 7-8 months later.
I really hope that we can get the ball rolling with this resolve soon.
I understand that we are a small portion of the user base, however I've not been able to use my license on the Mac for months now.

Clock10 mths

Status?

Clock9 mths

The 1/14 Xamarin update (5.2.1.13) includes Mono 1.8 support. Can we get a status update?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/release-notes/5/5.2

Thanks,
Steve

Clock9 mths

@Mathieu Morrissette - Seems like we aren't getting replies here for the past several questions.

Clock9 mths

steve32186465168431378313681365139861351386415 wrote:

The 1/14 Xamarin update (5.2.1.13) includes Mono 1.8 support. Can we get a status update?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/mac/release-notes/5/5.2

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

The release notes for Xamarin.Mac 5.2.1.13 are actually misleading. While the message only says that Xamarin.Mac supports Mono 5.18, clicking on the GitHub issue shows us that it's only a fix for the Unsupported Framework of Xamarin.Mac. RDM Mac does not use the Xamarin.Mac Unsupported Frameworks because, as the name implies, this is not actively supported by Xamarin/Microsoft. Switching from the Full (currently used) to the Unsupported would not be a simple undertaking as this could affect the whole applications in unexpected ways.

With the Unsupported Framework we can actually build Xamarin.Mac with any Mono framework (with all the potential issues that this could bring). Xamarin.Mac supported frameworks (Modern and Full) both comes with a bundled version of Mono (currently 5.14) which cannot be changed.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Looking for an update again... Stay with us, folks.

Clock9 mths

Any update on this. We have no option but to use AD accounts to connect to SQL and RDM is worthless if you can not connect to a database.

Clock9 mths

Mathieu Morrissette wrote:

Hi,

Mono 5.18 is not yet released. Here's the release page : https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/

Best regards

Mono 5.18.0 was released 21 December, and I'm still getting the "Specified method is not supported" error.
Does anyone have this working?

Clock9 mths

Hi,

As you can see here: https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/9028#issuecomment-460268133

The issue hasn't actually been solved in Mono 5.18. And we do not know yet when Mono 5.20 will be released. That being said, the release of a new Mono version in no way guarantees it being integrated into Xamarin soon after.

I'll try to build a separated version with Unsupported Frameworks + Mono 5.20 when available, but I cannot guarantee the success of the endeavor (and it cannot be done for iOS and Android).

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Xavier Fortin wrote:

Hi,

As you can see here: https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/9028#issuecomment-460268133

The issue hasn't actually been solved in Mono 5.18. And we do not know yet when Mono 5.20 will be released. That being said, the release of a new Mono version in no way guarantees it being integrated into Xamarin soon after.

I'll try to build a separated version with Unsupported Frameworks + Mono 5.20 when available, but I cannot guarantee the success of the endeavor (and it cannot be done for iOS and Android).

Best regards,

I see, thanks!

When you say cannot be done for iOS/Android, does that mean the feature will never be supported or just that we'll have to wait for framework support?

Clock9 mths

Hi,

I only mean that there is no Unsupported Frameworks option that allows choosing a specific Mono version in Android and iOS that I am aware off. Which means that we have to wait for Microsoft to integrated Mono 5.20 into Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS before this can be brought back to RDM Android and RDM iOS.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Xavier Fortin wrote:

Hi,

I only mean that there is no Unsupported Frameworks option that allows choosing a specific Mono version in Android and iOS that I am aware off. Which means that we have to wait for Microsoft to integrated Mono 5.20 into Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS before this can be brought back to RDM Android and RDM iOS.

Best regards,

Gotcha, good reply - I'll hope for the best then, and advocate for external display and mouse support in RDM for IOS in the meantime smile

Thanks

Clock9 mths

Acknowledging first that I'm not a dev, but is there not a way to call another library for authentication? Your Devolutions server product allegedly offers AD logon; why not have a little daemon running that code playing middleman between the Mac version of RDM and the SQL data source? Or, give us small app to run on the SQL server to handle those requests, something like that. I'm sure a bunch of smart guys like you could come up with a solution in under a year, especially when it seems like you have all of the building blocks in place.

Clock9 mths

Anyone thats (not)patiently waiting for this like my entire company can watch the releases here:
http://releases.xamarin.com/

I'm curious though are we waiting for a GM or are we waiting for any release?

Clock9 mths

We also are required to use Integrated Authentication. This bug prevents our staff from responding to emergency infrastructure outages from a remote location. Hoping this get resolved soon. Thank you.

Clock8 mths

andrew11 wrote:

We also are required to use Integrated Authentication. This bug prevents our staff from responding to emergency infrastructure outages from a remote location. Hoping this get resolved soon. Thank you.

Considering it's been almost a year and they've put zero effort into fixing it, I wouldn't count on it.

Clock8 mths

Clock8 mths

I cannot believe this is still not resolved.
I have an extra license for my work Mac when I use it and it is going to waste.

Clock8 mths

Hello,

Since December 2018 we are waiting Mono 5.20.0 release. The release can be followed at https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/ and after Xamarin will be able to integrate it.

I look with Mono and they are currently working on many issues, the latest update was 4 hours ago with 5.20.1 release.

Good news is that the fix seems to be already there (see #9028 here)

Many customers and many other software companies are waiting for this fix. As soon as it is releasing we will implement it.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on October 14th 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Any updates on this? It was released last month.

Clock6 mths

Hi,

The latest version of Xamarin.IOS is version 12.10. This version integrates Mono 5.18. We cannot fix the problem until Microsoft builds a new version of
Xamarin.IOS with Mono 5.20.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Nicolas Dufour wrote:

Hi,

The latest version of Xamarin.IOS is version 12.10. This version integrates Mono 5.18. We cannot fix the problem until Microsoft builds a new version of
Xamarin.IOS with Mono 5.20.

Best Regards,

It's been a freaking year - let's pretend that they're *never* going to fix it (given that you guys have been saying "soon" for that entire year). At what point do you take responsibility for making your own product work? Hit the war room and start coming up with other options (such as lifting the functionality from your other products or redesign the client, or something! I know when we're up for renewal I'll be strongly recommending we switch vendors specifically because of this issue and your uncaring and lackadaisical attitude.

Clock6 mths

Hello, Xamarin.iOS 12.99 is out with Mono 6.0. Any news?

Clock3 mths

Hi,

This is next on our list, we will be checking out the patch shortly to see if it includes the fix we have been waiting for.

Best Regards,

Benoît Racine

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths