Forum / Remote Desktop Manager IOS - Support

iOS - Cannot Connect to MSSQL using Integrated Security

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We have a Windows 2008 R2 server running MSSQL 2012 (11.0.7001), we are doing some testing to validate a database upgrade is working properly among our in use RDM clients. We haven't used the iOS version in a long time due to our DB version for RDM being out of date but now that we upgraded we cannot connect (doesn't seem to be DB related)

Authentication is "integrated" login scheme is DOMAIN\username

Doing a server test or a Database test both come back with what looks like a .Net error which begins with "Specified method is not supported. at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeGssNameHandle.CreatePrincipal (System.String name)" I cant write the entire error (its not short) and the context window doesn't allow text selection please see attachment.

Any support here is appreciated.

2018-06-01.jpg
Clock6 mths

Hello,

What version of RDM Windows are you using?

What version of RDM iOS are you using?

Do you have a SSL certificate enabled on your SQL Server?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

I am having the same issue as well. When trying to connect to my MS SQL data source w/ integrated security I receive the same error message.

I am using the following:
Device: iPhone 7 & iPad Gen 4
App Version: 4.7
No SSL cert enabled on SQL Server

How would find out the version of RDM Windows? Is that the data source version?

Thanks,

James

Clock6 mths

Hi,

I was able to reproduce the issue and currently investigating it.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi,

Unfortunately the third party we use to connect to MS SQL doesn't support connecting using integrated security anymore.
For the time being, the workaround would be to use SQL Server with Mixed Mode enabled.

We also have a product called Devolutions Server which supports multiple authentication modes including windows authentication.

Im really sorry about that.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Mathieu Morrissette wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately the third party we use to connect to MS SQL doesn't support connecting using integrated security anymore.
For the time being, the workaround would be to use SQL Server with Mixed Mode enabled.

We also have a product called Devolutions Server which supports multiple authentication modes including windows authentication.

Im really sorry about that.

Best regards

Good to know. Thanks Mathieu. I'm guessing this is something you guys will be looking into resolving with the third party? If so, is there a way to be notified when that has been fixed?

Clock6 mths

Hi,

We are actively working to resolve the issue and we'll let you know when it'll be resolved.

The support for integrated security broke when they implemented support for SSL encryption.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Also having this error, following along so that I can be notified when it's resolved.

Clock6 mths

I went to check on our database connection, and we already use mixed, but still face the error.

Clock6 mths

Hi Patrick,

The workaround is currently to use mixed mode and connecting to the database using an SQL login.
Make sure the Login mode in your data source is set to Database login.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi Mathieu Morrissette

We have the same issue but due to security policy in our company we are not allowed to run with multi login.

Is there a time-frame for a fix?

Nick
Maersk Training A/S

Clock5 mths

Hi,

Unfortunately, the third party we use hasn't provided us with an ETA for the fix.
It might be a while since it is not an easy fix. I'm really sorry about that.

I'll keep you updated.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Support,

I really hope there is a lesson here that some level of testing is going to take place for all of the different database and with mechanisms. We are suffering at this point and since apple has no way to obtain a previous version all of our iOS users are dead in the water. If we didn’t have a support staff of 23 users actively using this software we may change to a different authentication mechanism. If it goes much longer we are going to be asking for a license extension.

Thanks for your time.

Clock5 mths

Unfortunately I only discovered this feature and because we only use Windows Authentication, it's immediately unusable.

Please let me know when it's resolved.

Clock5 mths

Will Integrated Authentication work if we enable SSL encryption on the SQL Server connection?

Clock3 mths

Hi,

The SSL encryption works but integrated authentication is non-functional.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi,

unfortunately this also includes the Mac version which is not working with integrated authentication after upgrading to 5.5.0.0 or 5.5.1.0.
Will there be a fix? And if yes, when will it probably be available?

Thanks,
Markus

Clock3 mths

This have been going on for a long time. So they are not having focus on this part.

Our company have started to test 2 other products to find a solution, due to company policy...

It is sad as we find this software to be quit good but due to security reasons, force us to move to other provides.

Nick
Maersk Training A/S

Clock3 mths

Hi,

You can follow the issue status here : https://github.com/mono/mono/issues/9028

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello,

If you are interested the integrated authentication works in version 5.4.0.0, here is the download link : https://cdn.devolutions.net/download/Mac/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Mac.5.4.0.0.dmg

Best Regards,

Etienne Lord

signaturesignature

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

Clock3 mths

Etienne Lord wrote:

If you are interested the integrated authentication works in version 5.4.0.0, here is the download link : https://cdn.devolutions.net/download/Mac/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Mac.5.4.0.0.dmg

Wrong platform. This is about iOS, not macOS.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion, I should've been clearer, the message was meant for Markusk

"
Hi,
unfortunately this also includes the Mac version which is not working with integrated authentication after upgrading to 5.5.0.0 or 5.5.1.0.
Will there be a fix? And if yes, when will it probably be available?
Thanks,
Markus

"

Etienne Lord

signaturesignature

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

Clock3 mths

Why can’t you roll back your use of mono to the previous working version? You can easily see that the mono developers are not going to be fixing this in the near future.

Clock3 mths

Hi,

Unfortunately, Xamarin.iOS is deeply linked with mono and to rollback mono we would also need to roll it back.
Rolling it back would prevent us from supporting the newer releases of iOS.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello Etienne,

thank you for clarifying. Since iOS and MacOS are close and I couldn't find the corresponding forum, I posted my question here.
Where should I put my post concerning MacOS?

Thanks,
Markus

Clock3 mths

@markusk,

You can post any issue/question related to RDM Mac on this forum
https://forum.devolutions.net/forum44-remote-desktop-manager-mac--support.aspx

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Update?

The issue has been closed on Github for a month.

Clock19 days

Hi,

The fix will be included in mono 5.18. Xamarin is currently, on the stable branch, using mono 5.12.
They don't have any yet ETA but I'll let you know when the fix will be available.

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock19 days