Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

.Net Error on Devolution server event logs

Hi Folks,

Another weird one. We login to our devolutions server datasource which uses sql data store with our AD credentials and google 2fa. It logs in and works fine.

Fairly often after a short time maybe 5 minutes it pops up asking for the google authenticator again then no matter what you put in wrong/right, click cancel or go offline, RDM will become unresponsive and only way to close it is to end task it.

At the same time on the devolutions server we get a .net error relating to its app pool as shown attached, the ip address mentioned in the error is the ip of the workstation that RDM locked up on.

This only seems to have started to happen for users in rdm version 13.5.8.0 (was ok on 13.5.6.0, not sure about 13.5.7.0 don't think anyone updated to that)

RDM works fine in offline mode if you go offline before it pops up asking for the authenticator again, if you click go offline when it pops that up it becomes unresponsive.

Devolutions server version: 5.0.2.0

Regards,
Craig

.net error.txt
Clock5 mths

i just uninstalled 13.5.8.0 and installed 13.5.6.0 and it's doing the same thing so its not that. Although I did get a slightly different .net error as attached

.net error2.txt
Clock5 mths

Hello,

Could you please send us the DVLS Diagnostic report?
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/kb_senddiagnostic.htm

And do you have other error messages in the DVLS logs?
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/configure_dvlslogs.htm

Best regards,

%FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME%

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, October 8th, 2018.

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Erica,

Sorry was out of town for a bit, I've sent the diag report off.

I'm seeing the errors mentioned above plus another safe handle has been closed error as attached

Regards,
Craig

1.jpg
error 05-21-2018 0906.txt
error 05-21-2018 0913.txt
error 05-21-2018 0915.txt
Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the DVLS Diagnostic report and the detailed error messages.

About the Google Authentication that keeps asking for authentication every 5 minutes or so, have you set the Auto refresh and Ping online method in the Advanced tab of data source configuration (File - Data Sources)? If so, could you please try it with the following values?

About the other error messages, I will ask an engineer to look at them. In the meantime, could you please go in Help - Submit a Support Ticket and send us both report (data source information and diagnostic)?

Best regards,

%FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME%

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on Monday, October 8th, 2018.

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Erica,

My ping online method was already set to none, i changed the auto refresh from 10 to 0. Also when it was working fine before the errors it wasn't poping up the google authenticator thing and I haven't changed that setting until now.

I submitted the ticket after I made the change above in my RDM.

Regards,
Craig

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for the reports. I don't see anything wrong in those reports.

About the Auto Refresh, the value is in seconds. So, every 10 seconds, your data will be refreshed. I would recommend you to set it to a greater value like maybe 120 seconds or higher if you want to set back the Auto Refresh.

After a discussion with an engineer, this maybe caused by a setting in IIS application pool. Could you please consult this online help page and change the settings to set the DVLS application pool to be always available and running? Then, it could preferable to restart IIS after these changes.
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/configure-alwaysavailable.htm

With these modifications, do you still get the Google 2FA prompt every 5 minutes?

Best regards,

%FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME%

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Erica,

Looks like I already have those AppPool settings set that way.

I'm fine with auto refresh being off, it hasn't popped up the google auth thing.

Regards,
Craig

Clock5 mths

oddly yesterday i ran windows updates on the dvls server (windows server 2016), it installed KB890830 and KB4132216.

I haven't seen any .net errors in the dvls logs since then, i've had rdm running nearly all day now without the issue occurring. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Glad that the Google 2FA doesn't pop up again for any reason.

Will wait for you to know if these updates resolve the .net errors in DVLS.

Best regards,

%FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME%

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Haven't had any more .net errors since the windows updates, so I guess we can go ahead and mark this one as resolved.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

That's a good news. Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

%FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME%

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths