Forum / Devolutions Server - Support

Mirror SQL setup doesnt auto failover

Hi!

We got our DVLS SQL Backend (SQL2017) setup with a synchronous mirror setup, so it autofailsover when it needs to. I've configured backup SQL server in DVLS settings, but it doesnt seem to get that, since DVLS gets a DB error everytime the DB has failed over to the mirror partner.

What do I need to check/configure to get DVLS to understand/change automatically to the other mirrored instance?

/Kaj

Clock7 days

Hello,

Does your SQL instance manage the fail over or you have configured the fail over partner in the DVLS settings?

Have you only one DVLS instance or multiple instances connected on the SQL instance (HA/Load balancing topology)?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock7 days

Hi!

Its the SQL Server that automatically manages the failover to the mirrored partner & I've setup failover partner in DVLS settings.

Its only one instance of DVLS, dont think our license allows us to install a HA/Load balanced topology with DVLS - correct me if I'm wrong.

/Kaj

Clock6 days

We're using 4.7.0.0 on DVLS

Clock6 days

Hello,

First, I have looked in your records and you can indeed deploy DVLS in HA/Load balancing topology. If you plan to do so, please consult the following online help page about managing encryption keys in a HA/Load balancing topology.

Finally, because your SQL Server instance already manages the fail over, there is no need to set the fail over partner in the DVLS settings.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock6 days

Erica Poirier wrote:

First, I have looked in your records and you can indeed deploy DVLS in HA/Load balancing topology. If you plan to do so, please consult the following online help page about managing encryption keys in a HA/Load balancing topology.

Excellent - will put that into the todo itemlist.

Finally, because your SQL Server instance already manages the fail over, there is no need to set the fail over partner in the DVLS settings.

Are you sure ? We're not talking Always on availability group, but a standard Synchronous Mirror. My understanding of the error that we have is that DVLS continues to talk to the 'mirror partner' server after a failover and since that DB isn't primary it doesnt answer. So I would assume that some sort of logic is needed in DVLS to retry the connection on the other configured DB.

/Kaj

Clock6 days

Hello,

After a discussion with an engineer, the connection pool still have the information of the server that failed and try to talk to it without success. We have on our to do list the implementation of such structure for testing. I will ask to set this on a higher priority.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock6 days

Thanks, can we get early release on this for us to test? Would hate to be forced to switch off mirroring on the DB and now it seems to swap mirror pairs every morning.

Clock5 days

Hello,

Sure, as soon as we get an internal version that includes a fix for this, I will send it to you.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock4 days

Below is the error from DVLS server when the DB fails over.

Error:
SqlException - A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at Devolutions.Server.DatabaseManager.GetDataSet(String sql, IEnumerable`1 parameters, CommandType commandType) at Devolutions.Server.DatabaseManager.GetData(String sql, IEnumerable`1 parameters) at Devolutions.Server.DataSourceManager.GetDataSourceSettingsDataTable() at Devolutions.Server.DataSourceManager.GetDataSourceSettings(SessionContext context) at Devolutions.Server.ServerManager.GetWebServerInfo(SessionContext context) at Devolutions.Server.ServerInfo.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) ------------------------------------------ Win32Exception - The network path was not found --- Default

Clock4 days