Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

Using VMWare Fusion as replacement for vSphere Client and console integration in RDM

Hi,

Would it be possible to integrate VMWare Fusion as a replacement for vSphere Client and console, as in RDM for Windows?

In our company, we have a mix of Windows and Mac users. Mac users are unable to create and use entries like vSphere Client and the VMRC, even though VMWare Fusion supports both.

If you need additional details, please let me know what you need, and I'll be glad to provide this.

Best regards,
Jelle Hillen

Clock5 mths

Hello,
Do you know if we can invoke vmWare fusion from the command line and send the required parameters?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

David Hervieux wrote:

Do you know if we can invoke vmWare fusion from the command line and send the required parameters?

VMWare Fusion registers vmrc:// as a protocol handler. When running "open vmrc://server/?moid=vm-71", it opens the console for a specific VM, but get a user/password prompt. When doing the same from vSphere WebClient (in any webbrowser), no prompt appears. The browser also uses this protocol handler, but no authentication prompt appears. They do add an additional hash to the vmrc:// string, so I guess that's how they pass authentication to VMWare Fusion.

For connections to vCenter servers, I haven't found a way to connect to it from the command line just yet. In the main window, I can choose to connect to a server, and then enter the server and credentials, similar to vSphere Client on Windows. When attempting to pass parameters from the command line, nothing happens (the main window opens, but that's it). I'll look a bit further, and post back if i find anything.

As for the embedded VMWare Console in RDM for Windows, I'm not sure how it interacts with an ESX-host, but technically speaking, couldn't the same API's be used on Mac? For instance, just like VMWare Player/Workstation on Windows, Fusion provides 'vmrun' for managing VM's from the command-line.

Best regards,
Jelle Hillen

Clock5 mths

So it's not possible to send the username and password?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

For connecting to vCenter, as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a possibility. I could log a case with VMWare to find out, or to request this.

For connecting to a VM through VMRC, like I said, the authentication is incorporated in the vmrc:// URL. I'm not sure how this is done though (through a session identifier, or by hashing the credentials). I can do some more research on that, and will post back my findings here.

Best regards,
Jelle Hillen

Clock5 mths