Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Force RDM to launch + undock on a specific monitor and Auto-refresh Citrix Netscaler connection

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi there,

I use 4~5 monitors everyday and some monitors have a smaller screen size than others. When I launch RDM, I would like it to launch on a specific monitor (the one with the biggest screen size). I have configured the monitor setting in RDM, but it doesn't seem to take effect:

I would also like an option to Undock connections to a certain monitor by default. So let's say I launch RDM on monitor #3 and I want to undock connections to monitor #4 by default. Currently, RDM launches on monitor #1, which is my primary display. I have to constantly move RDM to the bigger monitor.

Regrding my 2nd feature request, is there some sort of option to auto-refresh a Citrix Netscaler connection? When I am logged into Citrix with an account, the Netscaler/Storefront connection will timeout after 5 minutes or so and log me out. I don't want that, I want it to stay connected constantly.

I have tried something like this:

However, it doesn't work and it interfares with the Playlist Management. This particular connection entry is part of a playlist that I open daily. When this entry is opened, it will execute the "After connect - Macro" part and the rest of the entries in the playlist do not get launched.

UPDATE:

I have discovered that you can add a "Web Browser (http/https)" entry, which has an auto-refresh option. Had to configure the HTML control ID to detect the username + password fields on Citrix Netscaler, so that I can do autofill:

Will let it sit idle and see if the auto-refresh function works here or not. Hopefully it does. However, ideally I'd like the auto-refresh feature to be included in the Citrix Netscaler connection entry.

Always using the latest beta RDM version.
Local data source.

Clock7 mths

Hello,
I did some fixes for the first issue. This will be in the next release. I will check what we have for the second issue.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Thanks David.

Does the fix for the first issue include undocking to a specific monitor as well?

Regarding the HTTP/HTTPs entry connection that I mentioned, auto-refresh works. However, after a while the connection tabs will disappear. I have not lost network connection. I have tested this several times, running both a Citrix Netscaler connection entry and a Web Browser (HTTP/HTTPS) connection entry. After a while (about 1 hour during my lunch break), the HTTP/HTTPs connection will drop.

Local data source.

Clock7 mths

We will try to add the auto refresh feature that we have for web page in the Citrix add-on. I'm not sure if this will be enough but it could work. I will double check for the undock with default monitor.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi David,

Have just downloaded the latest beta and it seems to launch on the monitor defined in the Settings now. However, I don't see any options to specify which monitor to undock a connection to. I would like to launch on monitor 3 and undock to monitor 2.

Local data source.

Clock7 mths

This is not implemented as separate setting. It uses the same value for External and Undocked. I will add a setting for undocked.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi David,

Just wondering if there is any progress on this?

Local data source.

Clock6 mths

Nothing new for now. It's still on our todo list.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi,

I'm sorry I forgot to notify you about this but the refresh options for Citrix should now be in the advanced tab like the web browser entry.

Regards

Samuel Baker

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi Samuel,

The refresh works great and unlike the HTTPs connection entry, the connection tab stays active after 1 hour of idle, which is good.

However, I've noticed a weird behaviour in both the HTTPs and Citrix connection entries. If you have more than 1 HTTPs or more than 1 Citrix connection entry opened and at least one of the connection entry has the auto-refresh setting enabled, then when the refresh action starts, the connection entries will constantly jump back and forth. The only way to break this behaviour is to click on a random connection tab.

Local data source.

Clock6 mths

Hi Team,

Have downloaded the latest update, the undock feature I requested has been implemented and it works great. Thank you for adding this!

Just one suggestion, the monitor # doesn't seem to match the one in the Display settings. For example, my primary monitor is my laptop and it shows #1 in the Display Settings. However, under RDM, it shows as #3 instead. If we could get a better view of what monitor is what under RDM, it'll be great.

Local data source.

Clock6 mths

Hello Ricky,
Sorry for the delay. We order the monitor with the same order than Windows gave it to us. I think it's from Left to Right

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

I don't think it is following that order.

I want to undock to monitor 2 by default. This is the native Display setting in Windows:

I had to set the monitor to #1 in order to get it undocked to monitor 2 (highlighted above):

What is strange is, the External Monitor in RDM is set to #3 and it matches the monitor 3 shown in the first screenshot (which is what I want).

It's not a big deal, as this is just a one time set up. But maybe good to include a GUI to show what monitor is being referenced in RDM. DisplayFusion does this very well, something like this:

Anyway, the refresh issue I mentioned in the previous post is still a bit annoying. If you have more than 1 HTTPs or more than 1 Citrix connection entry opened and at least one of the connection entry has the auto-refresh setting enabled, then when the refresh action starts, the connection entries will constantly jump back and forth. The only way to break this behaviour is to click on a random connection tab.

Local data source.

Clock6 mths

We will investigate. When we initially added the "select monitor" feature 5+ years ago getting the actual screen number from the OS was impossible (or we never figured it out). So we number them left-right then top-bottom. So in your case we would number then 2,1,3,5,4. Hence why 3 = 3 works for you. Anyway the code is far in my memory. We will go over it to see if we can improve on it.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Thanks. Don't spend too much time on that one, it's not a big deal. Once I have the correct monitor configured in the settings, it's just a one-time setup and doesn't really cause any issues.

The refresh issue I discussed is more of an important one. It's annoying when the Citrix connection entries gain focus and jump back and forth when the refresh occurs.

Local data source.

Clock5 mths

The latest beta broke the autofill feature. It doesn't autofill the password and it doesn't matter if you have the auto-submit enabled or not.

Local data source.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

Our engineering department did a change awhile ago that prevented sending a password to a non-password type field.

In the latest version of RDM, 13.6.2.0, they added a new feature that now allow you to disable this setting. This new feature is checked by default in the Web Browser entry and it is called "Only send password in HTML password field". This might be the reason why your password is no longer auto-filled.

Could you please go to your Web Browser entry Properties -> Login -> Credentials -> Uncheck "Only send password in HTML password field"
PasswordHTML

I hope that this will solve this issue.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

PasswordHTML.jpg
Clock5 mths

Hi James,

It's not a HTTP/HTTPS connection. It's a Citrix Netscaler connection.

Also, what's this message about your office closure? Is that going to affect the future development of the application?

Local data source.

Clock5 mths

Hello,

This issue is currently under investigation by our engineering department. The autofill feature of the Citrix entry should be fixed in the next version of RDM.

I will notify you as soon as I have any update on that matter.

Regarding your question about our office closure, this only means that the office will be closed during both of these holidays.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi,

We made changes to the password filling in IE that should fix your issues, it will be available in the next patch.

Regards,

Samuel Baker

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi there,

The undock to a specific monitor seems to be quite buggy. I have a couple of RDP sessions running as embedded tabs. 2 of the sessions always undock on the wrong monitor, whereas another 2 undocks at the right monitor. Any ideas why?

Local data source.

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I am currently unable to reproduce this issue, could you please send us a video of this behavior and a screenshot of the configuration of the entries that are not working as expected to support@devolutions.net ?

This should provide us enough information in order to be able to reproduce this issue.

Best regards,

James Lafleur

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hi James,

Don't worry about it, have managed to resolve by removing the RDP entries and creating them. I re-created them with the exact same settings (they are using a default template anyway). Not sure why but that has fixed the issue.

Local data source.

Clock4 mths

Sorry for replying to a 2 month old topic, but I'm still having issues.

When I have multiple Citrix Netscaler entries opened, each with auto-refresh set to 19 minutes, then RDM will switch focus and jump between the Citrix Netscaler entries constantly whenever the refresh action occurs. The only way to prevent RDM from jumping back and forth is to manually click and focus on any session tab.

Is there a way for the refresh to occur in the background and not steal focus away?

Local data source.

Clock3 mths

I will ask our QA to reproduce it.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi ricky,

I am unable to reproduce the issue with the session with default config, is it possible for you to export one of the session without its credentials so I can try to reproduce your issue ?

I belive a specific setting on the entry is resulting in the steal of focus between the tabs.

Whenever you have exported the entry please send it to aroy@devolutions.net.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

@Ricky

Just a side note, we just deployed the new beta version of RDM 13.9.3.0 and it is possible that this version fixed your issue.

Best regards,

Alexandre Roy

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

I've just updated to the latest build and it seems to have fixed the issue! Will report back again if issue persists.

Thanks!

Local data source.

Clock3 mths