Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

View logon credentials without RDM installed

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

It would be very helpful to be able to lookup logon credentials for connections (even better, the connection details) from a browser on a computer where RDM is not installed. Likewise to lookup those details from a phone.

Clock8 mths

Hello,
This is exactly what you can do if you use Devolutions Server with web based client.

https://server.devolutions.net/

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

I have the online database and can't do this from my droid RDM app. Does it only work with a private Devolutions Server? If so, then still I request this feature for RDM mobile app with online database.

Clock8 mths

What do you mean for Mobile? RDM for Android should allow you to view the details with Devolutions Online database. Do you get an error?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Yes I get an error when I click View for EVERY connection type. The error says "The entry cannot be viewed!"

Clock8 mths

Are you able to post a print screen? I will report this to the Android team.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Thanks, been in touch with support. I can't grab a screenshot on my phone while the error is visible, only of the connection menu.

Clock8 mths

Hi,

What is your current RDM Android version. We have just tested it with several connection types and it works with the latest version (4.1).

We have tested connections of type : Remote Desktop, Telnet, ARD, VNC, FTP Native and they all work ok.

Can you give us a few connection types that you are trying to view? Not all connection types are supported on Android but most of them are. We display the message "The entry cannot be viewed" when the view mode is not supported.

RDM has a security feature that prevents screenshots from being taken. To deactivate it go : Setting -> Security and disable Protect data from screen capture. However, we do not need the screenshot with the message that specifies that the entry cannot be viewed, we just need several connection types that are not working.

Also, do you have the latest RDM Android version installed (4.1)?

Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Yes 4.1. I've tried website connects, SSH, FTP, dropbox, sonicwall vpn (both), teamviewer. Some show a blank password field (clicking the eye does nothing) and others display the error message. Like I said, it seems that even when this works (according to your experience not mine), there is no way to see the logon credentials of every connection type without RDM installed on a computer. This would be a valuable addition to the RDM phone app and online web portal (feature request).

Clock8 mths

Hi,

You should be able to use the view and view password (where applicable)
feature on all the connection types that you can create with the Android version.

Here is an explanation for every type that you've mentioned:

- website connects: Not sure which type you are referring to?

- SSH : Supported types on Android are SSH Tunnel, SSH Shell and SSH Port Forward.
If your type is only SSH, it is not supported on Android.

- FTP : Supported types on Android are FTP, TFTP, SFTP.
If your type is FTP Third Party, it will open but it cannot be viewed on Android.

- DropBox Explorer : The view option should work. The view password option will show nothing
as the DropBox password and username cannot be displayed
(the same is also true for RDM Windows)

- SonicWall VPN and VPN : Will not work on RDM Android, they are not yet implemented

- TeamViewer : Should not be able to Open a TeamViewer session on Android (it is not technically
possible to do that from our application at the moment).
Should be able to view the entry and view the entry's password.

RDM Windows currently supports 184 entry types and RDM Android currently supports 92 entry types.
You will not be able to view the information of a type that is not yet supported on Android.

If you are experiencing problems with connection types that are supported on Android
(types that you can create with the Android version) please let us know and we will investigate
your connections.

Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

I have HTTP and HTTPS sites, plain FTP and FTPES sites. All produce the error. Dropbox has the View Password command but it's blank. I'm not interested as much in connecting to sessions through RDM on phone, but viewing the logon credentials, which I have not been able to do for any type of connection.

Clock8 mths

Hi Chris,

For DropBox, the password is blank and it is normal (same thing with Windows). The feature has just not been deactivated for DropBox.

For the other connection types, if they are supported (see my previous reply) you should be able to view their credentials.

There is one thing that you can verify. Make sure that your credentials are saved in the database. If they are stored on a file on your computer, Android will not be able to retrieved them. Hence, you will not be able to open the session and view its credentials.
For example: An RDP connection can store its credentials on the local computer or in the database. If they are not in the database there is nothing Android can do. For connection types like FTP, if you use a private key and it is of type file, Android cannot open and resolve the credentials since they are on your local computer. If the private key data is stored in the database the connection should open and you should be able to see its credentials.

For the view logon, if you credentials are store in the database (not in a file on your local computer), I suggest that you export 3 or 4 connections that are not working and send them to me at: ndufour@devolutions.net

We will analyze your connections and try to figure out what the problem is. You can change the connections' passwords since we only want to test the view password option. The connections can be exported with RDM Windows : select the connection, right click, select Export and Export Selection (.rdm).

Regards,

Nicolas Dufour

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths