Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Export Log from SSH Session

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

My supervisor recently downloaded the free version of RDM. He has a networking background and uses SecureCRT to connect to the network switches. He wants to use RDM to connect over SSH, but would like to know if there's a way to export a session log before he logs off.

I know he can enable logs, but does this need to be done at the start of the session? Will it record his commands as well as the output?

Thanks,

Ben Liebowitz, VCP, vExpert

signature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Just to be sure, is he using our SSH Shell entry?

If that is the case, we have an option in the Advanced tab of the Properties of the entry to enable logging and specify a destination path for the log as well as the log mode. You have a choice between Event and Printable output;

Is this what you're looking for?

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Mark Beausejour wrote:

Hello,
Just to be sure, is he using our SSH Shell entry?

If that is the case, we have an option in the Advanced tab of the Properties of the entry to enable logging and specify a destination path for the log as well as the log mode. You have a choice between Event and Printable output;

Is this what you're looking for?

Best regards,

Hi Mark,

I pointed him to that feature. Will this export everything that happens in the SSH Shell window?

That option is available on the free version?

Thanks!

Ben Liebowitz, VCP, vExpert

signature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I can confirm that it is available in the free edition.

As far as logging, I think what you need is printable output. I've looked at the file and it seems to have listed the commands I've done and the results.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

And I would suggest that the file name be built by making use of our variables. One that we use in our demos is

$LOGPATH$\$NAME$_$DATE_TEXT_ISO$_$TIME_TEXT_ISO$.log

where $LOGPATH$ is a custom variable defined in the datasource, making it a system-wide variable.
$NAME$ is the name of the entry
the date and time variables are easy to understand.

There is a sample powershell batch action to modify all of your SSH sessions at once, you will find it in https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/powershell_batchactionssamples.htm

best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

well, I just remembered that you mentioned that he was using the Free Edition

He will have to use the custom variables section in File -> Options... rather than the ones in the data source settings.

The Batch Action is NOT available in the free edition. Maybe install the entreprise trial to perform that change. (if he hasnt gotten a trial on that machine yet...)

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs