Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Find and replace option in a selection

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We love the batch edit options but we see a need for an additional change method.

It would be nice if we could select a batch of sessions and then execute a find and replace in the selection.

We are seeing variables in descriptions or names that we cannot easily change with batch edit but if we could do a find and replace execution in a batch selection that would be great.

Example
here are 2 sessions where i might only want to change one part of the name.

ZEPI SAP ECC ZEQ ZEPISZEQ00 10.160.42.13 administrator
ZEPI FTP ZEQ ZEPISZEQ00 10.160.42.13 DIUSER

I just want to change the ZEPI part to COOL in all the sessions selected. So a find a ZEPI and replace COOL would do the trick in all names and descriptions of sessions selected.

The batch edits would require the batch selections to have the same edit fields or the same meassage or name per field edited where the find and replace option would give more flexibility to change more dynamically.

Maybe add a find selection option like name, description, hostname option to tell it where to search. THen maybe a confirm option if you want to confirm each change first to avoid mistaken change.

Clock8 mths

Hello,

I think it would be possible to accomplish this with PowerShell.

Let me check with my team and get back to you.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,
It is indeed possible to change this. When you select your sessions, simply right click as you would do for a batch action.
Select Edit -> Edit (Special Actions)... Then, select Custom Powershell Command in the Edit - Special Action Selection
You will then be prompted for a Custom Powershell Command. enter the following script :

$connection.Name = $connection.Name -replace "ZEPI", "COOL"
$connection.Description = $connection.Description -replace "ZEPI", "COOL"
$RDM.Save();

And click OK.
Please note that it will replace all occurrences of the ZEPI substring, you can tweak the this substring (by adding the space character if you need to)
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex Belisle

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Very interesting. I am not PowerShell savvy but i do have team members that are, is there any documentation related to all the things you can do in devolutions with PowerShell scripting? We have been looking for a faster way of generating entries when we bring on a new customer. I will try your recommendations in short future. Are there plans to put this PowerShell search in GUI form to check all the search variables and confirmation options.

Clock8 mths

Hello,

A lot of documentation on PowerShell can be found in our online help
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/powershell_cmdlets.htm

There's also a dedicated forum on Powershell
https://forum.devolutions.net/forum42-remote-desktop-manager--powershell-repository.aspx

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths