Hello,

I’m looking for a way to connect to a host by RDP over a HTTP proxy, configurable per user. How can I do that in RDM Enterprise Edition (current installed version is 5.1.0.0) on Mac? Same question for the Windows version, but more of our users use Macs.

So the way would be user with RDM-Client -> proxy server -> target host RDP
The proxy is a standard HTTP proxy and doesn’t need username or password.

Best regards
Andreas

Clock5 mths

Hi Andreas,

I think the Proxy Tunnel session should do what you want.

ProxyTunnel

You can configure it in any session via the VPN/SSH/Gateway tab:

SessionProxyTunnel

ChoosingProxyTunnel

The only thing I'm not sure is when you say "configurable per user". You want users to use different proxy for the same sessions?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

ProxyTunnel.png
SessionProxyTunnel.png
ChoosingProxyTunnel.png
Clock5 mths

Hi Xavier,

The Proxy Tunnel doesn’t work for me, but that may be because not all parameters of the Proxy Tunnel are clear to me. The status window output is as following:
Listening on 127.0.0.1:23451
proxyTunnel_Completed: SUCCESS
proxyTunnel_Disconnected: SUCCESS
Connection Status is Not connected

I tried the following values:
- Host and Port: hostname and port of the proxy.
- Username and Password: x, because empty is not allowed
- Proxy type: HTTP
- Localhost and port: 127.0.0.1, 23451
- Remote host and port: hostname and port of the proxy

Can you give me some hint here?

Configurable per user was meant like you wrote. We have different locations and on some of them it’s necessary to use the proxy for some sessions. I found no option for this. If that’s currently not possible I think we could live with the workaround to create additional sessions for them.

Best regards
Andreas

Clock5 mths

Hi Andreas,

Usually, you connect to RDP directly to it's host. Well the Proxy Tunnel session create a bridge between two hosts. Using the words in the session settings, once the session is launch it look something like this: Local host (Local port) -> Host (Port) -> Remote host (Remote port).

Where usually the RDP sessions would try to connect to the Remote host (and remote port) directly, it now wants to go through the tunnel so it has to connect to Local host (and local port).

Here is an example:

ProxyTunnel

And in the RDP session:

RDPSession

In this example, I'm using the proxy on host 192.168.7.62 (default port, a.k.a. 80) to create a bridge between my local host (127.0.0.1) on port 3390 and the remote host I want my RDP session to connect to (192.168.1.33) on port 3389 (default RDP port). My RDP session than connect to 127.0.0.1 on port 3390.

I think a Proxy without username might not be a supported scenario, but maybe it's just as simple as removing the empty verification on the user name field. I'll look into this.

There is no explicit way to set a session proxy on a per user basis. You could use custom variable in the host field. But this would be per computer and not per user (and would require every user to set said custom variable in the Preferences on their machine).

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

ProxyTunnel.png
RDPSession.png
Clock5 mths

Hi Andreas,

After further investigation, it seems that we can just remove the verification for the Username/Password and it should work.

Though, I tested with a Proxy requiring no Username/Password by filling those field with junk (username:abc and password:123) and it still worked.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Xavier,

Thank you for your detailed explanation! Now I understand how this should work and were able to successfully create such a connection over our proxy. For the username and password junk data is working fine.

It would have been great if that could work as a per user setting, but as we have just a few affected hosts I will create additional sessions where needed.

Thank you again and have a nice weekend.

BR Andreas

Clock5 mths