Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

ScreenConnect User Display Name Overwrite

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We do not give users access to ScreenConnect directly, so they do not have user accounts on the system. We use a single RDM integrator account on ScreenConnect to sync sessions and log users in to sessions. These credentials are saved in RDM and users are not able to reveal/access this password, RDM logs them in programmatically with these creds without them ever needing to know them. This greatly simplifies deployment and administration (not having to have users remember and enter their creds for the SC server which is in the cloud and cannot sync with AD or LDAP, not having to set/update this password on all the synced session groups for each customer in RDM, etc).

This is identical to the way LabTech integrates with ScreenConnect. However when users access ScreenConnect through LabTech, LabTech overwrites the display name of the ScreenConnect user so that they see the username of the tech's LabTech account instead of LT_Integration. When we connect through RDM, we would like to have this same effect where RDM overwrites the display name of the integration account using the username of the tech's RDM account instead of RDM_Integration.

This display name is used in chat, in the "under control" banner displayed to end users, in the ScreenConnect session connection history logs, etc. It is also used in the list of active hosts connected to the machine - when two techs connect via RDM, we see two RDM_Integration users connected, and if one user is idle/away and needs to be disconnected, we have to guess at which one to kick off and half of them time kick ourselves off. This is a seemingly small change but with a huge benefit for us. If we have to administer/manage/remember creds for each tech for ScreenConnect, we might as well have users log into ScreenConnect directly instead of RDM and save on the license cost.

Clock9 mths

Hello,
I will assign this to Hubert for investigation. I'm not sure how LabTec does that but will check what we can do.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Hello,

I've been testing a few things and it seems to be possible. I'll let you know once I have something done internally. It will require an update of the ScreenConnect extension as well as RDM once it's done, though.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Hello,

In the advanced tab of the ScreenConnect entry settings, there will be a box for "user display name". The values are Default (the current behavior), Windows Username (which will use the user's current windows username) and Datasource Username (which will use the username the user used to connect to the datasource). If I missed anything for the feature, just let me know.

The feature will be available with RDM 13.5.1.0. It will also require an update of the ScreenConnect extension to version 2.2. Hopefully both should be available around the same time but the ScreenConnect extension has to get approval from their team first.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths

Thank you guys! That was a really fast turnaround, very impressive.

Clock8 mths