Forum / Password Vault Manager - Bug Report

Shared Templates not visible to Users

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We created a folder structure, which we'd like to use for every new customer we aquire to keep things tidy.
for that, we saved the empty structure as a template (Right Click --> Add --> Save as Template --> Shared Template)
now, the shared template is only visible on the system, where it's been created. if it's exported and imported as shared template on another machine with another name, it's still not visible to anyone else.

we currently use Password Vault Manager Enterprise Edition 8.6.0.0, the Data Source is a Microsoft SQL Server, every Client uses Integrated Security as Login mode and Read-Only Cache.

Very interestingly, when i delete the read-only cache on the machine i created the template, the template is deleted as well. it seems like it never gets to the database. when i create the template with offline cache disabled, it still creates the offline.mcdf2 file and the template vanishes, when i delete that file (or delete cache using Data Source --> Advanced --> Manage Cache)
when i disable caching alltogether using Data Source --> Advanced --> caching mode: Disabled, the shared template vanishes after some time or when i restart the application.

i'm pretty sure, this is unexpected behavior, i assumed a shared template is stored in the database and is visible to all connected users.
any thoughts?

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Is it possible for you to install PVM 9.0.1.0?
https://remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download

When this new version would be installed, please execute a CTRL + F5 to refresh the local cache completely and then, create your shared template.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jeff

We updated to 9.0.1.0 (Database and two of the Clients for now)
- CTRL+F5
- Recreated the template
- CTRL+F5 again
- Template disappears

in between these steps, the template is never visible to the other client.

the behavior stayed the same

additionaly, when i create a new template, it asks me if it should be stored as a local or a database template. since the update, i can only see database templates, no local templates (File --> Templates --> Templates). the tab just isn't there, it's only one tab "Database"
i can use local templates, but as the tab is missing, there is no way of removing or editing them (i had to go through the config file)

our current workaround:
we deploy the cfg files through Group Policy, we just add the local template there so everyone can use it

we would very much prefer to store the templates in the database, keep me posted on any news

kind regards

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Thanks for all the details.

I will assign this to one of my colleague so that we can try to reproduce this internally.

Best

Jeff Dagenais

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,
I’ve been attempting to reproduce the error to no avail. However, there’s a few maneuvers we’d like you to try.
I can see a few scenarios
- Corrupted CFG File (since you all use the same, it would explain the absence of the Local Template Tabs)
- Corrupted Data Source

Of course, the concept of deploying your CFG file might seem like a good idea (at the very least a fine workaround), but I think it can cause unwanted results, like offsetting the cache, and overlapping Data Source Settings.
The best solution I can see that can be done quickly, is to try to create another Data Source (a new Database in you SQL-Server).
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/create-a-new-data-source.htm
After creating the Database, try to create your Shared Template and see if it works. You might want to connect another user to that same Data Source, please make sure this user is also using a fresh config file.
If all goes well, you can now proceed to export your sessions from your working Data Source and import them in the new one. I don’t know if you have a lot of templates, but you could also export them to re-import them in the new Data Source, as shared Templates.
I Hope this helps.
Regards,

Alex Belisle

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs