Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

Checkout Checkin Functionality

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We are using Checkout/Checkin for both sessions and documents.

For documents if someone already had the document open a person can still Checkout and after they Checkin their changes could still overwritten by the person that has the document open. We have try using the logs function but it doesn't record Close Document, only Open Document so we don't know if the person still has it open. We have tried forced Checkout but if the person forgets is never Checks in.

The second issue is when someone has the document in Checkout, nobody else can open the document. If would be really nice to still have the document openable but in read-only mode. Maybe the dialogue say ... this guy has it open, you will open in read only.

So the wish list looks like this:

If a document is Checked out, let another user open it in Read Only mode.
Have the option to force a Checkout whenever a document is open (already available), but with a forced CheckIn at 30 minutes (or settable time)

Would those two changes be possible?

Thanks,
Rob

Clock10 mths

Hello,
I will try to improve the checkout process and enter a enhancement request. I'm not sure if I will be able to do that for the next update.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Oh, hey that's awesome. Will keep an eye on future updates for it.

Thanks!

Clock10 mths

Hi,

Just doing a follow up. I can't tell if there was something new in one of the recent updates. Did you have a chance to implement this or know when you might.

Thanks
Rob

Clock9 mths

Unfortunately it was not included in this release.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Hi,

Can you let me know if this is still in the works and a rough time frame?

Thanks,
Rob

Clock7 mths

I would say after this summer for the next major release of RDM (14)

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hello,

Starting from the next beta of RDM, the behavior of documents checked out by other users will be changed so that they become read-only instead of disabled.

As for the forced check in, there should already be a setting for it which is shown every time you try to check out an entry. All you have to do is check the checkbox shown in the image below.

CheckInTimer

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

CheckInTimer.PNG
Clock7 mths

What about overriding a check out?

So if someone forget to use automatic check in and leaves the building. What can i do?

Clock7 mths

Hello,

The administrator is able to proceed with the Check-in when someone left the building.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Is it adjustable that normal User ore Key-User can also Check In others sessions.

Think about using the check in functionality more like a hint for colleagues than an absolute lockout.

Clock7 mths

Hello,
I will add this to our todo list.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hello Thomas,

We have added the permission "Check in (force)" in "ADMINISTRATION -> Data Source Permissions -> Miscellaneous". This will allow you to decide which users and/or roles have the right to check in an entry which was checked out by another user.

This should be available starting from the next beta of RDM.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi all,

I see a bunch of changes to checkout/in the latest 13.6.5.0.

When I edit Data Source Settings i can no longer see a place to change global checkout rules, did this get moved somewhere else?
I would like to change the default to auto-checkout when opening a document.

Also would it be possible to set a default 'forced checkin time' so the user doesn't have a choice?

Ideally it would be nice that when the user opens the document (or session) that it forces a check out for a predetermined time.

And one more question:
When I multi-select documents I cannot batch edit, unless I check them all out. Is this by design for some reason.

Thanks
Rob

Clock5 mths

Hello,

The Checkout Mode can be handled at the data source level by going in Administration -> Root Settings -> Security.

For the other questions, I let Michael from our engineering department respond to them.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hello Rob,

When you select the "Manual" check out mode it makes editing or opening an entry require a check out. This will disable the batch edit as a result.

If you want to keep the check out feature active while removing the obligation to check out your entries to edit or open them, you will need to change the check out mode to "Optional".

We have added the "Forced check in time" to our TODO list and will keep you updated on the progress.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Hi Michael,

Forced check in time default will be very welcome.

We have 30 technicians all accessing a combination of 500 documents, sometimes for edits, sometimes just to read only.

If possible can you feature request an option for the first user to open the document in read-only mode ... they would do this just to read the doc.
We have our system in forced check-out mode with no dialogue so if they double click it opens - checked out.

The way I see this working is the user could right click on the document and and open in the menu would be 'Open Read-Only'.
The next user could still open the document checked-out.

Thank you,
Rob

Clock5 mths

Hello Rob,

We will add the request for an open read-only button to our TODO list. Would it be alright if we named it "View Document" instead?

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

Yes! 'View Document' would be perfect. Thanks.

Clock5 mths

Hello Rob,

The setting "Automatic check in after X minutes" has been added to Data Source Settings -> General -> General and should be available starting from the beta of RDM 14.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths

This is great, look forward to V14.

Any chance the View Document option will make it in this release as well?

Thanks
Rob

Clock3 mths

Hello Rob,

Would it be possible to let us know what types of documents you are using? If I am not mistaken the current version 13.6.7.0 should open most documents in read-only by default when it is checked out by another user.

If this behavior works for your types of documents, then we could either leave it as is or change the text from "Open session" to "View document" when a document is checked out by another user so as to avoid any confusion.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Oh, sorry I might not have explained it well.
This is for Spreadsheet Editor documents (mostly).
Users either need to edit the document or just look something up.
When the first user (just wants to look up) opens the document, it checks it out.
When the second user (wants to edit) opens the document he gets read only.

I would like to say to my users, if you only need to open the document to view information use the:
'View Document' option instead of 'Open Session;

Multiple users could have it open in view mode, then when someone goes to open the session they still get an editable document.

Hope that made more sense.

Thanks
Rob

Clock3 mths

This does make sense. I will bump up the priority on our TODO list and see if we can get it done before RDM 14 comes out. If there is no time to finish it before RDM 14, we should still be able to get it done in one of the following betas that will come out shortly after.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hello Rob,

This feature will be available starting from the beta of RDM 14.

A "View" button will be available for most of the document types. The Video, Image, RDD, Certificate, Phonebook, HTML, HTML Editor, Email,Text and Text (RTF) document types were considered to not need a "View" button and therefor do not have one .

If it turns out that you do need the "View" button on some of the above mentioned document types just let me know and I will add it to them.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Wow, just upgraded and there it is, the view menu item!!

The checkin/out function is working beautiful with all these enhancements.

Thanks to your team for see this through and providing a top notch product!!

Rob

Clock2 mths

What about permissions for normal Users to override a Checkout?

Should i create e new Topic?

Clock2 mths

Hello Thomas,

We have the setting "Check in (force)" in ADMINISTRATION -> Data Source Permissions -> Miscellaneous which allows you to select who can check in an entry not belonging to them.

I was wondering if this is what you wanted or is it something else?

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Ok, this looks like the option i want.

When i try to configure it, my Program Freezes. I think i have to update the DPS and the Datasource first.

I think RDM is missing a datasource compatibility check for all options.

Clock2 mths

Hello Thomas,

I do know that the implementation of this feature into DPS was done a bit later than it was in RDM. I would recommend updating your DPS and see if it works after that.

If it doesn't please do let us know and we will investigate the issue.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths