Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Improvement for RDM Jump

  • Create an Issue

First, I'd like to say that we use RDM a lot and we really like the product.
At the moment, we are running six different RDM servers (five with shared DBs) in order to properly manage all our customers. Remembering which customer is on what server is not always easy for our helpdesk technicians, so we've been looking at RDM Jump to see if it could make our lives easier.

Since we admin stuff from a different network, it would be running RDM in a RDP session, and if using RDM Jump we would basically run RDP in RDP in RDP. Instead of using SSH tunnels, VPN connections, Proxy servers, RDM Agents on different types of sessions, it would be nice if you could improve on RDM Jump to be more like a proxy server.
Some advantages
- Use certificates to connect via it, less user management on proxy/ssh/window rdp
- Use several different rdm-proxies, selectable for folders/entries via a drop down list
- All traffic towards the target is tunneled via the rdm-proxy, making ping, scripts etc. run directly on the RDM client
- One rdm-proxy per default gateway
- Scan networks using different proxies
- Use third party software with the rdm-proxy would be easy to manage

We will try to evaluate the current solution properly as well, but thought we would give you the heads up while we prepare for our test :-)

Clock9 mths

What do you mean by RDM Servers? Do you mean RDM desktop running on a server? Or do you mean a DVLS (Devolutions Server)?

Clock9 mths

Hi Andreas,

The current jump implementation is to help you configure and manage your sessions within RDM when you must do RDP-in-RDP type scenarios.

Without RDM Jump you must to configure the client RDM to RDP to the "jump server" then each jump server must be configured with the sessions and launched manually. The problem with this approach is you had multiple data sources across the enterprise containing sessions and logs.

With Jump you configure everything on the client RDM and Jump controls the rest, logs are reported back. All sessions and logs are in one place.

The limitation of RDM Jump is it must be an RDP session for the jump sessions since we piggyback onto the RDP virtual channels to communicate, much like printer redirecting works. The jumped session can be anything.

If I understand your suggestion correctly. You would like to be able to "jump"/proxy without RDP but instead using an "RDM Proxy" that would handle this without necessarily having the UI and from anywhere?

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Brenden Jackson wrote:

What do you mean by RDM Servers? Do you mean RDM desktop running on a server? Or do you mean a DVLS (Devolutions Server)?

Sorry, I was using internal lingo to external people - not good :-)
By RDM servers I mean RDS servers with RDM installed, using a common database.

Clock9 mths

Stefane Lavergne wrote:

If I understand your suggestion correctly. You would like to be able to "jump"/proxy without RDP but instead using an "RDM Proxy" that would handle this without necessarily having the UI and from anywhere?

Yes, exactly this! An application that's installed on any server (windows or linux) that RDM uses to tunnel traffic, preferably encrypted with verified encryption (certificates). I know this would make our administration a lot easier.

Clock9 mths

I agree a tool like that would be very useful although building it isn't trivial.

We've been working on Wayk Now, a remote desktop access solution, for some time now. Using the same underlying technology, we plan to develop Wayk Tunnel, on our long-term road map, a tool that would do essentially what you've described.

In the meantime, you can subscribe to the Wayk Now 2.0 beta.

Best regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

Stefane Lavergne wrote:

I agree a tool like that would be very useful although building it isn't trivial.

We've been working on Wayk Now, a remote desktop access solution, for some time now. Using the same underlying technology, we plan to develop Wayk Tunnel, on our long-term road map, a tool that would do essentially what you've described.

In the meantime, you can subscribe to the Wayk Now 2.0 beta.

Best regards,

Yep, sounds like we need to wait until Wayk Tunnel is available for RDM - since we still need all the other features in RDM such as open comment, permissions, logging and all that good stuff smile

Clock9 mths

I noticed that Wayk Now 2.0 has been released (congrats on reaching that milestone), and was wondering if you have had any chance to look at implementing the tunneling features from Wayk Now in to RDM?

Clock5 mths

We are working hard on the unattended mode and the tunnel will come next.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 mths