Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Inventory Report on Linux servers

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello.

It seems the Inventory Report is based on WMI for Microsoft´s servers, is possible to run it on Linux servers by a script?.
Thank you.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
It's not possible for now but that something that we would like to do eventually. Do you have script already?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi.

No because I don´t have a clue how to insert the data into Desktop Manager fields, there are lots of Linux scripts on the web so grabbing one a customizing it shouldn´t be a hard problem.

Regards.

Clock2 yrs

No problem. I will add this to our todo list. We plan to eventually support Linux in term of inventory management.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello.

Any news about this? Could you provide a template?.

Regards

Clock2 yrs

Nothing new for now but that's something we plan to do soon.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi.

Any news?, I would like to launch a script after Linux login to update / fill the inventory also, for Windows, it seems is not working unless you are domain admin, shouldn't it work as a local admin?. I'm currently using version 11.7.6.0 until our security team approves framework update.

Regards.

Clock7 mths

Hello,
We have something on our todo list for Linux but it's not ready yet.

For Windows, we use WMI and perhaps something is limited with the local admin.

https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/troubleshooting_wmi.htm

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Thanx, I´m still getting the ERROR: Description = The RPC server is unavailable, it seems there are not allowed ports, so I'm trying to launch a remote script or use the agent, but how can I import the data into the RDM database?. BTW any hope to get some script documentation for the Linux inventory?.

Regards.

Clock7 mths

@gustavo,

The RPC server is unavailable error message is a message from Microsoft.

At the bottom of this help article, there's two commands that you can try on your computer to test the WMI requests and see if they are working to get information from the remote computer.
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?troubleshooting_wmi.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi.

It seems network security team doing its job, I can launch a script as a sub-connection to get some wmic queries, I would like to import that answer into the information tab as much as effortless as possible also, doing the same for Linux.

Regards.

Clock7 mths

Do you have a sample of the Linux result?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock7 mths

Hi.

Yup:

sudo facter | grep -i 'hw_model'
=> HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8

Clock7 mths

Hi, any update on this request?.

Regards.

Clock6 mths

Nothing yet unfortunately.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 mths

Hi.
It seems this issue is stuck, can I add the script result into the RDM inventory database?.

Regards.

Clock3 mths

Hello,

As I understand, you would like to populate the Information section located in the properties of your session. Am I correct?

The script result is saved into which type of file? CSV? If yes, it would be possible for you to use the CSV suncrhonizer to sync this information inside RDM
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/synchronizer_csv.htm

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!
Although our various support queues will be monitored for emergencies, Devolutions' offices will be closed on June 24 and July 1st, 2019.

signaturesignature

Clock3 mths

Hi.

It's not a CSV but it can be done, I'll check and let you know how it works, thank you.

Regards.

Clock3 mths

Hi.

It seems the .csv check is more for importing data than keep updated several fields, specially for HW information. In the link https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/importcsv_strategies.htm#csv-samples several data, like OS, IP, MAC or the HW type is not described also, seems that all host info must be re-entered in the csv, in the server an easy query like "sudo facter | grep -i 'hw_model'" produces an answer like "hw_model => HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8", how can I launch it from RDM and import the data into the requested field or fields?.

Kind regards.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

As I understand, you would like to run the sudo facter query and populate the Information section with this information. Am I correct?
If yes, as of now, it's not possible to accomplish this in RDM.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Ok, the inventory option, is it working on Linux?, I see the function works on Windows servers, only as a domain admin. I've tried without success.

Regards.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

As of now, the inventory report can only be run on Windows computer.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hi.

So, back to post #1, about 2 years ago. Most of my servers are Linux based, but the inventory option doesn't work for them, there is a roadmap to fix it?.

Regards.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I had a chat with our engineering department and the inventory for Linux box is still on our ToDo list.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

OFFICE CLOSURE!

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths