Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Dynamic template list ...

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

back again...
Implement a method to batch edit the default action templates? I currently do this using PowerShell but it is... well... clunky. Better yet, create a dynamic template list based of the session metainformation. Some examples...

• if $VIRTUAL_MACHINE_ID$ -ne $null {add VMRC template to template list}
  • if $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_URL$ -ne $null {add iLO template to template list}
  • if $session.MetaInformation.OS -match "Windows" {apply RDP to template list}
  • if $GROUP$ -match %regexpattern% {apply multiple templates to template list}
  • and if $CUSTOM_FIELD_X$ -notmatch %pattern% {add X template to template list}
  • etc
Updating any of the metainformation would dynamically assign the appropriate session templates at execution time. The way we manage our RDM implementation, this functionality would be a game changer.

Clock11 mths

Hi,
I think I need a little bit more details to understand the workflow? You want RDM to have a new dynamic batch action?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

Hi David,
Forgive the hatchet job on the screenshots below, I thought pictures would help explain my thoughts.
A logic builder window would need to be created much the same way as the Advanced Search feature currently has.
This would in turn populate the appropriate templates in the template list at session execution time based on the processed logic rather than statically assigned to the session
In the hypothetical example above, I have logic which says this session is in a folder which contains "production" and the OS field contains "Windows" - so add the PRODUCTION - RDP template. I also have "Is virtual Machine" checked with type VMware - so it also gets the VMware Console template.
If I were to update the session OS information to "RedHat", the next time the session is opened, the PRODUCTION - RDP template would be replaced with a PRODUCTION - Putty template.
If I were to add Vendor "HP" AND populate the Remote Management URL, it would add the HP - ILO template. Changing vendor to Dell would replace the HP - ILO template with Dell - DRAC... etc.

Clock12 mths

Hi,
I see what you mean. The first step could be based on Tags only instead of a complex search. What do you think?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

The tags wouldn't be very useful to me at the moment but if it could be expanded later? Start with whatever would be most useful to the community?

For us, the $Custom_Field_5$ would be most valuable (single field) as I dump the CMDB json extract into this field for my synchronization scripts.

Clock12 mths

I will add this to our todo list. I really want to find a way to simplify the template usage.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

It's not implemented yet but I have made step forward.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

smile looking forward to it!

Clock12 mths