Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

GotoAssist keyboard recognition

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

When I have a support rep using gotoassist any typing they try to do within a RDM session comes through only as the letter a. The keystrokes come through on all other apps installed on the Mac correctly like say Chrome or Word, but the remote into another machine will only come through as the letter a. For example "dogs and cats" would just show up as like 13 a's in the RDM session. I'm using the most current version of RDM on High Sierra.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Nick,

This is weird. Which session type (or types) are we talking about? RDPs?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes all I use is RDP currently.

Clock2 yrs

I'll try to reproduce and get back to you when I find something.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks!

Clock2 yrs

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, I have bad news for you. I've looked into our RDP session event handler and we simply do not receive the correct key code. No matter which key is pressed, we receive the 0 key code, which will ultimately translate to the 'a' character (as you've noticed). The thing is, there's really nothing that can be done on our side.

Just to make sure there wasn't some magic that could be used to work around this issue, I've tested both the Microsoft Remote Desktop.app RDP client and the Apple ScreenSharing.app (to other Mac). Both applications display the same behavior.

I can only conclude that the issue lies in the Mac GoToAssist client. They are most likely mishandling key events when it comes to handling remote Mac session. I'd suggest filing a bug with them and see what they can do.

Best regards,

P.S. Mentioning that the issue is also in Screen Sharing.app and Microsoft Remote Desktop.app might help you convince them of the importance of the issue.

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

OK thanks for your help. It's at least beneficial to know it's not just my pc that's having the issue.

Clock2 yrs