Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Pin connections to Windows 7 Start Menu item

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

OK I know you're not adding features to this current version any more so I have an idea for the next. Some programs, like Office Access 2010 Technical Preview (maybe 2007 I didn't look) and Remote Desktop Connection, show a set of recently used connections/documents if you click/hover the right arrow next to their Start Menu entry, and you can pin those recent docs/connections to that menu if you want to keep them there, in Windows 7 at least. IE 8 does this with recent webpages/tabs too. This is pretty handy; I'd like to see the Favorites or all or some other subset of the connections in RDM be available on a menu like this as well. Also, when you right-click on a program's taskbar icon in Windows 7, the menu that comes up also has the same/similar recently used items to select from.

I assume this is relatively easy to add support for, but I speak as someone who has done some programming but not much for Windows and nothing for Windows 7 :-)

Clock10 yrs

Hi,
I already explored a little bit of Windows 7 programming and this is a feature I want to add, I think that they call it jump list.

Thank you

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

Yep, the menu attached to the task bar icon is a jump list, but I'm not sure if the one attached to the Start Menu entry is called the same. I've been using Windows 7 for six months since the first public Beta, but I don't know all the terminology for the new features yet--doesn't stop me from putting them to use though :-)

Clock10 yrs

Maybe your right, I'm not sure this is a jump list in the start menu.

Anyway, I will eventually know the exact name smile

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 yrs

It would be cool to show all items as a task on the jump list which are currently shown when you right click on the tray icon.

Clock9 yrs

Hi,
It'was exactly what I was thinking, but my biggest problem right now is to produce is the .NET Framework 3.5. To create a jump list I must upgrade the application to the .NET Framework 3.5 and add this as a prerequisite. Many users don't have the .NET Framework 3.5 and I think that it's sad that they must install it just for a feature that they can't use.

My goal, is to create two versions, one for Windows 7 and another one for all the other OS.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 yrs

Well, it's only a 'nice to have' and to match the Windows 7 way. On the other hand, I don't see the problem of the .net framework 3.5 requirement. I guess many people already have it because there is also other software out there that needs it.

Clock9 yrs