Forum / Password Vault Manager - Bug Report

Error while importing from Sticky Password

Password vault Manager - 9.0
Sticky Password - 8.1.0.97(latest beta from their forum)

i get the following error when trying to import the Sticky Password xml file into PVM

PVM

PVM.png
Clock9 mths

Hi,
Could you send us a sample in private without the passwords?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock9 mths

hello, sorry for the late reply. i've sent it to you via private message.

Clock9 mths

have installed version 9.5.0.0 and i'm glad to report that the issue is fixed.

however, i do not know whether this is a bug or should be a feature request, the import only imports user names and passwords without their corresponding websites. so if i have imported my devolutions forum details it will only import my devolutions forum username and password without specifying that they are to be used on the devolutions forum. could you please look into this ?

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I took a quick look at the code and ran a few tests but it properly imports the website for me (as a web browser entry type). Would it be possible for you to provide a sample with a dummy username/password so I could check what's wrong when importing?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello,

I received your export data, thank you. When I try to import it I get the following:

2018 03 28 7 50 04

The web browser entries seem to contain the website as well as the login.
I noticed the import also imports the credentials themselves as standalone entries, since the XML is structured in such a way.

Do you encounter the same behavior when importing?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

2018-03-28_7-50-04.png
Clock4 mths

Hello Hubert,

no unfortunately, here is my import window. the host column is empty. i'm using PVM and i see from your screenshot that you are using RDM and so i downloaded RDM to test out Sticky Password imports and it works as it should. this looks like a PVM specific issue

Sticky.png
Clock4 mths

Hello,

I didn't think to check if there could be any differences between PVM and RDM. I checked again and the reason for the difference is that the import currently imports web browser entries, which aren't supported in PVM.
We will change it so it imports web information type entries, which are supported and contain just about the same kind of data.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Thank you for confirming the difference and for getting back to me so quickly.

if i understand you correctly, RDM supports web browser entries while PVM supports web information entries. could you please detail the difference between web browser entries and web information type entries ? and, if it is not asking too much, could you explain why PVM cannot support web browser entries like RDM does.

Clock4 mths

Hello,

The Web Browser entry is a session entry type that can be launched by RDM externally or embedded mode.
https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/sessions_webbrowser.htm

PVM supports only credentials and information entries like bank accounts, customer informations, contacts, etc. The web information entries are used to store information about web sites and cannot be used to open the web site, even with RDM.
https://helppvm.devolutions.net/dataentry_web.htm

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Thank you Erica.i appreciate the detailed and timely information. it makes sense now

Clock4 mths

latest version 9.5.2.0 has fixed the import issue described in the last few posts, Thank you. however i've noticed another issue with Sticky Password imports(this affects RDM as well). Sticky Password groups logins from the same domain together, so if i have three yahoo logins they will all be grouped under Yahoo like shown in the screenshot below

the problem is with importation into PVM or RDM, only the first account appears in PVM/RDM. the rest appear as username/password combinations with no website attached. so if my three Yahoo accounts in Sticky Password are: User1/password1, User2/password2 and User3/password3 only User1/password1 will appear under Yahoo in PVM/RDM. User2/password2 and User3/password3 will appear on their own in the list unattached to any website(in this case Yahoo).

sticky.png
Clock4 mths

Hello,

Thank you for providing a screenshot, I see what you mean. I think we should be able to do something about that with the import.

I think the way we could do this is regroup the different credential entries under one "password list" entry that matches with the domain. This means it would create a web entry (the Yahoo web entry) and one credential entry containing your three credentials for Yahoo. What do you think?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hello Hubert,

Hubert Mireault wrote:

Hello,

I think the way we could do this is regroup the different credential entries under one "password list" entry that matches with the domain. This means it would create a web entry (the Yahoo web entry) and one credential entry containing your three credentials for Yahoo. What do you think?

This would be perfect, it would greatly clean up the list* on the left for people like me that might have multiple accounts per domain(like the Yahoo example). Thank you for picking this up and coming up with an elegant solution.

* speaking of cleaning up the account list on the left sidebar, any progress on this feature ?: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic26825-move-multiple-selected-entries-into-a-new-group.aspx

Clock4 mths

Hello,

We'll have the change for the import in the next PVM build. I think it's much more usable this way, so I hope it works for you smile

For the other thread this is still on our todo list. When we do it it will probably be a special action rather than a behavior of the "add folder" button.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock4 mths

Hubert Mireault wrote:

Hello,

We'll have the change for the import in the next PVM build. I think it's much more usable this way, so I hope it works for you smile

Regards,

sweet! can't wait to test it out. i hope it works for me too Thumbs Up

on the other request, a special action sounds good also. like this menu item on OSX when multiple items are selected in finder.

Clock4 mths

Hi,

We added a special action for your last request. You can now select multiple entries right click edit / edit (special actions) / Move selection to new folder in the general tab. You'll then be prompted with a directory list where you can choose any folder or create a new one by clicking the "New Group" button.

Regards,

Samuel Baker

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Beautiful! this is a welcome addition to PVM for me. Thank you very very much.

Clock2 mths