Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

show environment variables appropriate for Mac client

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

When I look at the environment variables for a session, I see a lot of Windows paths.... not so useful on a Mac.

When on a Mac, show what the variables would be on a Mac. When on Windows...

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.25.56 AM.png
Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Don't forget that this is a cross platform application. Said variables could be used inside a session that as been set by a Windows user in a shared session. So, you can see them as purely informative.

We're not resolving environment variable in Mac as of yet, so this wouldn't be of much use either way.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Would still like to see this. Would have been helpful with SSH agent auth...

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jo,

Well, I don't see why we couldn't add a Environment Variables Mac section. Except everything in printenv, do you see anything else that could be relevant?

As for the nomenclature, I can't really use %<...>% to prevent conflict with Windows variable. I could do it like the other sections, something like $MAC_<...>$ (replacing <...> with the name of the actual environment variable).

Or did you see it more as a kind of binding between the environment variables of Windows and those of Mac (when applicable) to keep as much as possible the cross platform behavior between RDM Windows and RDM Mac. (%USERNAME% -> $USER, %HOMEPATH% -> $HOME, etc.)?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I'm not thinking of cross platform, I'm only thinking of "I'm on a Mac and want to know what variables are available for me to use on Mac" wink

I understand you have cross-platform complications but I have no strong opinion about that. I personally would not attempt to map back and forth, because I work with tools that do that and there's always a million problems because of mismatched expectations. Although I wouldn't mind if $VAR sourced from X on Mac and Y on Windows, they are your variables use them as see fit.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jo,

So this has been implemented. In fact, the section with the Mac/Unix variables has been added in the variables windows:

VariablesView

As you can see, we're using the same %...% nomenclature as the Windows variable. This is because this was actually already handled through the Mono .Net API. So in the currently release app, you could write "%HOME%" in a field of a connection and it would get resolve to (in my case) "/Users/Devolutions33" when launching the session or showing its overview. Only the section was missing.

The array of the variables view for Unix environment variables is also loaded dynamically from the environment variables of the current user (with the values instead of examples or descriptions) as could also be observed with the printenv command.

Anyhow, this (the Unix environment variables section) will be available in the next release of RDM Mac.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

VariablesView.png
Clock2 yrs

I'm very glad to hear this. Looking forward to it!

Clock2 yrs