Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Support

VMWare Remote Console as template - not passing variables

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I'm noticing that if I use the VMRC as a template from a Host session, it will always try to "Connect-VIServer $HOST$". (whatever value $HOST$ is)

I've tried setting $CUSTOM_FIELD1$ and $CUSTOM_FIELD2$ as the VCenter name and the VM ID\Name within the template but it still errors out trying to use the $HOST$ value for Connect-VIServer. I'm pretty sure I tested this back in 11.x and it was functional.

If I run the VMRC as a session with hard coded values it works.

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

Just to be sure, what version of RDM are you using right now?

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

I'm currently using the beta 12.9.4.0 (needed to upgrade due to another issue).

Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

I take a look at the VMRC Template and we have two fields (VM Id and Server IP/DNS) which one is always pointing to the Host field of the Host entry?

Perhaps, I misunderstood something, if yes could you send me a print screen of the VMRC Template and the Host entry.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

It doesn't seem to matter which variable I try to pass to the template from the host session, it will always use the value of the session host field.

If I catch it at the right time, I can capture the powershell error.

There was no endpoint listening at https://172.217.6.238/sdk that could accept the message

Untitled.jpg
2017-10-12_6-54-59.jpg
Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

You probably found a bug, but prior could you change the VMware Console type to VMWare VMRC 8.0.

VMRC+Console

And it will change the VM Name field below for VM ID, so please enter the VM ID of the session.

Also, regarding the variable, the variable $CUSTOM_FIELDX$ is refer the Custom_field information in the VMRC entry not the Host entry. To call the Host custom field please use the $PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELDX$ variables please.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

VMRC_Console.png
Clock3 yrs

Using the VMRC 8.0 setting, it will work as a regular session (hardcoded) and as a sub connection (passing the variables). When running as a template, nothing appears on the screen at all. Debugger shows "Silent: Connection to server failed!"

Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this information, I will perform other test and I let you know the result.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

I did the same setup as you, with a Host entry and start this session with a VMRC Templace. In my Host entry I send the Custom_field 1 as the Vcenter name and the Custom_field 2 as the VM name. The connection works.

I think the problem you have is about the PowerCLI configuration. Could you try first to look at the PowerCLI Configuration to be able to connect to a vCenter server via RDM.

And when the installation is finished, please test to create a VMware Console not the remote console. directly in the Navigation pane and let me know if the connection work.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi David - PowerCLI is fully functional within RDM. It does pass the VM label as a variable (better screenshot attached). It just doesn't pass the variable for the VM server.

Host Session:
Host = 10.93.69.100
CustomField1Value = PAZ1VCPW1V
CustomField2Value = PAZ1SPRXDW1V

VMRC Template - passes 10.93.69.100 as Server IP\DNS - passes PAZ1SPRXDW1V as VM ID
Server IP\DNS = $CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
VM ID = $CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

PowerShell Template - fully functional
Embedded script:
Connect-VIServer $CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
Open-VMConsoleWindow -VM $CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

VMRC Subconnection - fully functional
Server IP\DNS = $PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELD_1$
VM ID = $PARENT_CUSTOM_FIELD_2$

VMRC Session - fully functional
Server IP\DNS = PAZ1VCPW1V
VM ID = PAZ1SPRXDW1V

While I do have a workaround using the powershell template and embedded script, this requires some less secure methods to acquire and pass credentials (and takes longer). I did enable the VMWare Console connection type and tested opening the VMRC console successfully but it will not work for my needs.

Here is a thread that explains why I have to use the templates rather than the embedded VMWare console.
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic28133-before-connect-event--terminate-session.aspx?lastpage=1#post106970

2017-10-16_8-20-14.jpg
Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Prior to look at the script I see that the PowerShell gave you a Cannot resolve name for the Connect-ViServer command. Could you have a look a this help topic and test both of the PowerShell Script to see if the connection work properly.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Both scripts are functional. If it helps, I'm also having the same trouble with the HP (iLO Web) session as a template trying to pass $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$
DVLS Platinum version 4.6.1.0 (although tested with MySQL datasource as well)
Remote Desktop Manager version: 12.9.4.0

Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

I just sent you an email to schedule a call. A live session will be faster and for sure I'm missing something that it doesn't help.

Please pick a date and time in the link sent.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Thanks again yesterday for letting me connect to your infrastructure and see the problem. I had a chat with the engineering department and good news the problems found in the VMRC and HP iLO Template bring a new mindset for the Host entry. And to solve this problem and many other problems that could happen in the future we will add a new check box under the HOST in the variable to use the Template host. So in the next beta you will have to check the Use template host.

That being said, the option will be available in our next Beta.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thank you! I chose Devolutions over other solutions primarily based on the level of support and agility getting updates/fixes deployed that I've witnessed in these forums. Obviously, that was a good choice. smile

Looking forward to testing the next beta!

Clock3 yrs

Wow what a pleasure to help customers who gave comments like yours.

Thanks for this comments and I will forward it to the engineering team also.

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Just tested the 12.9.7 beta and the new check box solves the issue with the VMRC template! The ilo template doesn't appear to like the variables under the tools such as $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$ but does pass the $CUSTOM_FIELD_X$ variables. I might be pushing my luck... but since you guys appear to be on a "7 days to deploy a feature" kick smile What are the chances you could attempt to get the following in before v13 release?

• The VMRC connection takes a few seconds to connect - several depending on WAN connectivity. Using the default Console type, I get the powershell window which is not ideal (not a show stopper) and using the 'VMRC 8.0' type.. it shows nothing. What are the chances of executing powershell with -WindowStyle hidden and displaying a 'initializing session' progress bar (like when connecting to a datasource) for either of the Console types?
  • Allow passing the 'Tools' variables to a template such as $REMOTE_MANAGEMENT_SERVER$
  • Completely unrelated... allow for an indefinite wait time for event (Before Connect, etc). This is currently limited to 300 seconds. A better option for me would be - if the event does not complete within the timeout period... don't open the session (Before Connect)?
  • Similar to what I mentioned regarding the default VMRC connection type - allow for a powershell -WindowStyle hidden option for powershell sessions and macros. I use GUI scripts almost exclusively... waiting for the PS console to draw on the screen and sit in the background is annoying.
  • Add more $CUSTOM_FIELD$ variables... this is very valuable real estate for me. Another option would be to allow carriage returns in $CUSTOM_FIELD_4/5$ which would allow me to parse it like an old school INI file. I can do this now, but having it in a human readable format would be very helpful.

I know... I'm getting greedy. See what happens when you do a good job?

Clock3 yrs

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this follow up, regarding the new feature request I could suggest to open a new Topic in the feature request forums: https://forum.devolutions.net/forum17-remote-desktop-manager--feature-request.aspx

This will allow the engineering department to communicate directly with you.

Best regards,

David Grandolfo

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Done. Appreciate your help!

Clock3 yrs