Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Bug Report

Black screen upon connect

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

This happens in both RDP Engine V4 and V5. Please see attached video. It never connects to the Windows Server 2012 R2.

V5 Perf - Black Screen.mp4
Clock3 yrs

Hi Jesper,

Could you generate the RDP logs of that session and send them to me. Here's how to do it: https://helpmac.remotedesktopmanager.com/howto_rdplogs.htm

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

I tried maybe 20-30 times with the log file enabled, but couldn't get it. Removed the log file, and BOOM! So something in the debug stuff is making the black screen not happening. Thoughts?

Clock3 yrs

Well, this is definitely weird. Have you had this issue on other server than this specific Windows Server 2012 R2?

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Oh! One other thing that could help us narrow down the issue. Could you try the same session after disabling OpenGL?

I want to see if the issue lies in the OpenGL rendering.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Only on Windows Server 2012 R2. I will try disabling OpenGL next time it happens.

Clock3 yrs

No, it's the same when OpenGL is turned off.

Clock3 yrs

OpenGL is not the culprit then. We'll have to investigate this further.

I'll post back on this thread when we make any progress or if we need more information.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Jesper,

I've been briefly able to reproduce this, but only with the Engine V4 and pretty inconsistently. Could you export one of the sessions (remove any sensitive information e.g. passwords, host names, etc.) and send it to me via private message. I'd like to see if a specific configurations exacerbate the problem.

Could you also check if this is any better with the sandboxing turned off?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No problems, my creds are inheriting from a group/folder anyway, so no passwords are stored in my RDP profiles. You'll have it in a couple of minutes.

Clock2 yrs

Xavier, I found another clue to the Black Screen. With v5.1.0.0 and later, it ONLY happens in Legacy mode.

When I'm in Legacy mode, some times (a lot of times,) it opens a new session with the SAME SCREEN as the session I was previously connected to/just disconnected from. If I haven't connected before, then it's black. It seems like the previous screen buffer has not been purged or something.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

Just one more details before I delve into this. Was turning Sandboxing off changing anything?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No, Sandboxing on/off does change anything.

Clock2 yrs

OK, we need to revisit this - it's annoying and we need to troubleshoot. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't have a user yet, when it happens. If you look at the attached image from one of our servers, I'm logged on (jkehlet) and trying to logon as 'cgadmin'

It doesn't even show on the user list, so the black screen must be a bad handshake in the protocol initiation or something. After a while, RDM just disconnects, almost as if it says "waited long enough for an answer."

What can I do to provide troubleshooting documentation? I would really like to fix this - I'm pulling all my hair out...

cgadmin logging on black screen.png
Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

If I remember correctly, enabling the RDP logging makes the issue disappear, right? Which makes it quite hard to get any specific info on what could cause the issue.

I realize this is a workaround (and not a particularly nice one), but RDP logging are now enabled for all sessions via a single option. Which you can find in the Help -> Session Logs window. You might want to keep it enabled.

Have you retried the Modern Engine, a lot of changes have been made in the couple last releases, maybe the performances issues you were experiencing are fixed. Some of the changes included a new rendering engine that seems to have increased performances for some users.

Oh and one last thing, I've quickly looked through the thread and I don't think I've asked before, but does the RDP view "respond" even while showing an all black screen? I mean, can you interact with the remote session (e.g. move items on your desktop) even if you see nothing. Since we confirmed it's not the rendering engine, the pixel buffer is probably not being properly update (which, I think, you've mentioned in one of your previous post) but it does not get us quite at the reason why this occurs. And only in some cases.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I can confirm that the Modern Engine is horribly slow performance-wise. I could see it paint the screen, if it painted at all. I had to switch back to Legacy to actually get work done.

So far I haven't seen it with logging turned on - but doesn't the logs eventually grow very large?

Finally, to answer your question: The RDP view doesn't really respond. If I leave the black session for a minute or so, RDM automatically closes the window/destroys it. So it's almost like the handshake doesn't properly happen. There is no items etc., and when I checked the RDP session stuff from a different login/Microsoft RDP Client, I could see that it never opened up the session at all. I hope that helps.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

About the log growing large. It would depends on how long you're keeping sessions opened. Logs are stored for each sessions individually and when you launch a session, it clears its previous logs. Keeping only the log of the most recent session.

There must be something we're missing about either your client devices or your servers for you to have such huge performance issues (with the Modern Engine) that we completely fail to reproduce.

Can you get me screenshot of both the Overview and Displays tab of the  -> About This Mac?

I'll look through the information you already gave me in previous thread to see if I've missed something.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Oh! One other thing while I'm at it.

Could you provide me with a screenshot of the RDM Preferences window with the Session Type -> RDP tab selected? I'll make sure to use the exact same settings as you when testing.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Attached are the pictures you are asking for. The Preferences are only changing from Legacy to Modern, but otherwise stays the same for my connections.

If you want, I can get you a connection to a TEST image that reproduces it?

Overview.png
Displays.png
RDP Session Preferences.png
Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

Actually, I think Metal is probably an issue for you. I had another user report performances with the Metal rendering engine who had the same Graphics process (Intel Iris Graphics 6100) which I assumed might have been the problem. What is weird is that I would expect this to be an issue with both RDP engine (they both support the Metal rendering engine).

I've just tested with a Mac mini with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and I have the opposite issue. Modern + Metal is quite fast while Legacy + Metal is very slow.

If you want, I can get you a connection to a TEST image that reproduces it?

This would be quite nice. I'll confirm that this is not client side first (which I currently think it is). I'll try to look into the aforementioned issue first. There is slight differences in how both RDP engines handle Metal rendering.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Sent you the connection separately. I'll mess with the Legacy/Modern settings along with Metal/OpenGL etc. to check performance.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

I do not seem to reproduce the black screen issue with the Legacy engine with the session you've sent me but (and this is glorious news) I do reproduce the performance difference between Modern and Legacy engine. The issue is only noticeable (by a lot) on my Mac Mini, though. It's quite subtle (or existent) on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the assistance by the way. We'll make the most out of it.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Oh and I retract my statement on the black screen. We did end up being able to reproduce it.

We'll put the focus on the performance issues in the Modern Engine.

But I'll take a look at the black screen issue when I have a bit of time.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes!!! :-) I'm glad you were able to reproduce. It's frustrating, so whenever you have a chance is good.

Performance is better now that I'm down to "OpenGL" but obviously looking forward to Metal being fixed.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Jesper,

We've made multiple performance improvements to the RDP Modern Engine. Could you try it and report back if you see noticeable performance issues?

I've tried with the session you provided on a Mac Mini and with Metal + Modern Engine, I was getting pretty good performances.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

Yes, I have not had any problems so far, so I'd say this one has been put to bed! :-)

Clock12 mths

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for coming back with me on this! Don't hesitate if you notice anything else.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

I have recently bought a MacBook Pro and the same problem is also found in my new MacBook. I have updated the system and expected to be solved, but still, my macbook pro won't turn on. It turns into a black screen.

Clock8 mths

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand your issue. The thread is about black screen when connecting to RDP sessions in RDM Mac. Is it what you are talking about?

If you actually mean that your MacBook does not launch, or is stuck on a black screen when it does, it would probably be better to contact Apple support.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock8 mths