Forum / Password Vault Manager - Support

Domain Authentication

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Am I missing something obvious? I have the Enterprise Trial installed and cannot find anything in the documentation on how to authenticate against my active directory. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
What do you mean by authenticate again you active directory?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

In the features it states:

Integrated user support (Active Directory)

How do i connect Password Vault Manager to AD?

Clock6 yrs

It's in the SQL Server data source. What type of data source do you use?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I am using a SQL Server datasource

Clock6 yrs

Ok,
So you have created the user in SQL Server linked to your Active Directory? You can use RDM to create them.

Do you get an error when you use the Integrated Security?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I have created no user in the SQL Server. That is what I am asking, Is there documentation that outlines how to setup the authentication?
edited by John on 4/15/2013

Clock6 yrs

This is the topic for Remote Desktop Manager but it the same for Password Vault Manager:

Configure your SQL Server
http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/installation_configuresqlserver.htm

Use the default user for SQL Server which is administrator to connect with PVM and manage your user directly in the application:

http://help.passwordvaultmanager.com/administration_usermanagement.htm

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

You really need a manual on setting up authentication. I followed the above referenced pages and I am assuming domain authentication is setup. However all users can see all the entries in the database no matter if they are a member of the security group or not.

This product really appeared as if it would work for my company, but when I work with it for more than 3 hours and can't even get something as simple as authentication to work properly then it might be time for a manual. Even a youtube video would be better than what is currently offered.

How does the application know which user is logged into the computer. Is it receiving passthrough credentials from the login. I logoff an admin user and logon as a standard domain user and yet he has all the rights and capabilities as the admin user. I am never presented with a login box for password vault that is why i assume you were using pass through authentication. I have a test user that has no access to an entry in the database but yet he can see the user and change any information he wants. Including deleting the admin accounts in the database itself.
edited by John on 4/15/2013

Clock6 yrs

We always try to improve the documentation and we will work on a tutorial.

Is it possible that all you users are SYS_DBA or DB_OWNER in SQL Server? You can see that in the about box?

This will explain why they have the full rights.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

This is an old tutorial for RDM

It's not perfect but this is the one we want to recreate for PVM

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Figured this one out. You need to check the box that says integrated security for this to work correctly.

Clock6 yrs