Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Configure the port and application code for RDM and PVM and also the extensions automatically

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

I would like to configure the port and application code for the remote desktop manager and password vault manager in the configuration file (automatically) to produce a automated multi user environment.

It would be great to be able to set the application code like the port in the configuration file.

The next problem is, that you currently have to set the port and application code for the browser extensions (IE, Chrome and Firefox) also manually.
So it would also be needed to set the application code and port for these extensions/plugins automatically.

It would be great if this (small) feature could be implemented in the next release, so we are able to provide the application for our customers.

Thanks and regards,
Marvin Klar

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

By automatically do you mean once the application/Extension is installed the port and application is already set or you want a way to select a file to import the settings from it like it's already possible in RDM?

https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?file_options_import_options.htm

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I want to be able to set the port and application code in the remote desktop manager, password vault manager and the extensions EVERY time the user loggs into windows. It would be the best to have a file (like the configuration file already) where I can put these values when the user loggs in.

Clock2 yrs

I dont really need a button to import the file. I just want to be able to set this values before the user starts the applications/browsers

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

Are you on terminal server? You take a look at the default.cfg for RDM:

https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/index.html?installation_terminalservices.htm

However it's unfortunately not possible to set values from a file in the browser extensions because they are sandboxed, they can't access files on the user local machine.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Okey, but could you provide any other way to set the code and port for the extensions or is this impossible???

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

Right now, we are limited with the APIs available for the Chrome or Firefox extensions which makes it impossible.

Do you know any apps/browser extensions that implemented a feature similar to the one you ask?

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No, I don't know any other extensions which have a feature like this, but I can't imagine that we are the first who need something like this.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

We will add it to the TODO list but we can't give you a timeframe for the reasons specified previously.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I would like to know how far this feature is already implemented.
Cause we want to deploy the Remote Desktop Manager for our customers.

I had an idea to supply the code and port for the plugins. The provider could simply create a website, whichs prints the application code and the port for the plugin. So then plugin just have to read the content of this site to get the correct port and code.

For this the plugin could read the machine domain and build a url like this:
[computer domain]/RDM/[sid].html

Would this be possible or do you already have a more smooth solution for this?

Thank you for the update!

Thanks and regards
Marvin Klar

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

The feature hasn't been implemented yet.

I think I get your idea to supply the application code and port the plugins with the website however there are a few issues with it.

How the extension is supposed to know that the web page or link contains the application code and port information for the plugin is a legit website?

The plugins can't get the computer domain by itself.

What is the sid is your url? If it's an Security Identifier from Windows. The plugins can't get this kind of information from the OS.

The plugins are all sandboxed in their browser, use JavaScript and few API to interact with the browser features according to what is specified in the extension manifest. They can't interact with the OS.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hey,

is there any progress? I were unable to find any changelogs on your website for the web plugins.

Or is there any other way to use this plugins on a terminal server?

Thanks and regards,
Marvin Klar

Clock10 mths

Hi,

Because of the way the browser extensions are made, another application cannot communicate with a browser extension and like I said previously it cannot communicate with the operating system in any ways. Thus, it's not possible to set the settings automatically to the extension from an external source.

It's also not possible to send a configuration file by GPO (https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/188453?hl=en).

To use it on a Terminal, you need to set the port and application code manually.

Best regards,

Olivier Désalliers

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths