Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Move Entrys between Repositorys

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

We probably need to split our datasource into different repositories.
For this we need to move about 7500 entries from one to other repositories.

Technically you only have to change the RepositoryID in SQL Database.
Please could you implement this function to RDM, so we can move the entries easily between the repositories without losing credential references.

This feature would also be nice for archiving purpose. So you can send entries to archive repository using the same group structure. Using a archive feature will help keeping the database small, because user don't want to delete entries if they are unsure if the may need them again.

Regards,
Thomas Kritzinger

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

If you do a right-click -> Clipboard -> Copy and paste the information in the new repository, this will move the entry from the Default Repository to the other.

If you do a right-click -> Clipboard -> Copy, check the Change ID box and paste the information in the new repository, this will do a copy of the entry in the other repository.

The credentials inside the sessions should follow.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello Jeff,

Have you ever tried to select 4000 entries and right-click them?
For me RDM freezes and gets unresponsive. After some time RDM returns to normal state without right-click menu.

Either this is a bug for copy paste or a feature request for batch job capability.

Regards,
Thomas Kritzinger

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

Indeed, 4000 entries is a lot of entries that needs to be moved at the same time.

I will verify with our engineering department if something can be done regarding this.

As of now, the workaround would be to select less entries and do several moves to transfer your data from one repository to another.

Sorry about that.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

I just though about something.

If it's a move that you want to perform, you should be able to do an export/import of your sessions via right-click -> Export -> Export Selection in a .rdm, including the credentials.

This will move your data from one repository to another because the same ID will be kept.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

that's right but that's more like a workaround.

All entries with all metadata must be written to a unprotected export file.
The import assistant has to check all id's. I think he also needs do drop the already existing entry to replace it with the entry in the export file, because the metadata could be different.

At the end i have to take care to delete the export file for security reason.

So my feature request is a better handling for this process.

I know there would be some work to do because normally you cannot communicate with multiple repository in one datasource.
But this work may offer new ways for fast repository switching in the future.

Regards,
Thomas Kritzinger

Clock2 yrs