Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Issue with built-in DVLS Backup Manager - BAK files growing in size

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi

We are currently trying to make use of the Backup Manager function within RDM & DVLS, with the intention of having this take backups of both the Database and Web components and store x number of copies of these.

This has been setup ok and we are able to run manual backups fine. However when this is then left to the scheduler to run backups, we are seeing odd behaviour and a single nameless .BAK file is being stored which continues to grow in size (reaching upwards of over 40GB) until it consumes all available drive space.

I have checked the Scheduler Diagnositics and made sure all options are marked green, and also done the same on the IIS server Diagnostics (screenshots of these are attached). We are running RDM 12.5.6 and DVLS 4.5.0. I was hoping to get some advice on what might be causing this issue and how we can resolve please?

Thanks
Rich

Backup Manager Settings 1.JPG
Backup Manager Settings 2.JPG
BAK File.JPG
IIS Diags.JPG
IIS Scheduler Diags.JPG
Server Settings 1.JPG
Clock3 yrs

Hello,

I am unable to reproduce this issue on our environment.

Does the Integrated Security option box is enabled in the Database tab in the Server Settings of your DVLS instance?
For your information, the name of the backup files starts with the name of the database that is used in the Database field.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Morning Erica,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this.

No, we don't have the Integrated Security option enabled on our server database settings, this is using a local DB user account instead. I have attached a screenshot for reference.

I have also included a screenshot of the .BAK file that is being created by DVLS, that is growing in size (now over 42GB in size).

Thanks
Rich

BAK Files.JPG
Server Settings.JPG
Clock3 yrs

Hello,

To be able to create the name of the .bak file correctly, the local DB user must have access to the web.config file that is located in the web application folder of your DVLS instance.

Could you please check if this user has access to the web application folder of your DVLS instance?
If not, could you please give read permission on this folder to see if this helps?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!
Although our various support queues will be monitored during the coming holiday season, Devolutions' offices will be closed from December 24th, 2019, to January 1, 2020, inclusively.

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Erica,

I presume by 'Web Application Folder' you are referring to the INETPUB folder on the C:\ drive of the DVLS server (in our case, this would be C:\inetpub\wwwroot\{DLVSInstanceName}).

If that is the case than our local DB user, SA does not have access to this folder. The SA user is purely local to the SQL database instance and is not a domain user, therefore cannot be listed specifically as having rights to this Windows directory.

I will try setting the above directory to be accessible by Everyone (a domain user group) to see if this allows the SA local DB user to access this and will let you know if this has resolved the backup issue.

Thanks
Rich

Clock3 yrs

Hi Erica,

Just to update, it doesn't look like the backup has worked again I'm afraid. I have check the server this morning and a new .bak file has been created for both the Database and Web backups but without a name. At the moment this file is small in size, but given the past issues with this, the file will now continue to grow in size indefinitely.

Thanks
Rich

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

Could you please check if the local user IIS_IUSRS has the read permissions on the wwwroot folder?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Erica,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have checked the WWWRoot folder and can confirm that the IIS_IUSRS does have fill read access to this folder, as per your screenshot example.

I have attached a screenshot from our server to show this.

The .BAK file has continued to increase to backup size still and still has no file name, other than the .BAK extension.

Thanks
Rich

IIS_IUSR Permissions.JPG
Clock3 yrs

Hello,

What is the values set for the Repeat every parameter in the Schedule section?

If it is set to all zeros, could you please set it to another value?
And you can delete the .bak file without any problem.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Happy Holiday Season!

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs