Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - SDK

Compile problem with SQL Server AddOn package

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Not sure if this belongs in this topic on the forum or another, but here it goes:

I decided to randomly check yesterday to see if there were any updates on the download page, and to my surprise the links to the AddOn section were up. YAY!

So I downloaded the SQL Server AddOn binary and source. The binary worked as expected, except for the fact that the "Open Embedded" option was enabled (possibly from by global RDM config) and threw me an error. Once I turned that off the session opened fine in SSMS 2008 Express. But I ran into an issue with the source. There's a reference to RemoteDesktopManager.AddOn project that is missing and that seems to be causing errors with some interfaces and derived methods in the SQL Server AddOn project. I was able to work around that and compile successfully by pointing the reference to the RemoteDesktopManager.AddOn from the latest beta release. I was just wondering if there were any plans to release the RemoteDesktopManager.AddOn source or if something like that is going to wait for the actual SDK release. At the very least you might want to repackage the source download with the DLL and reference to the DLL included smile

Thanks again for all your hard work and adding this new functionality, it's going to be awesome!

Clock11 yrs

Hi,
You're right the embedded is not supported, I will fix that. Also I will package the dll with the source, it's a good idea. At least now, you see how simple it will be to create addon.

Thank you for the excellent comments.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock11 yrs

hi,

i just tested the addon and entered the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE" as there is the "sqlwb.exe" .. as the addon looks for "ssms.exe" or "ssmsee.exe" it does not work .. could you please add "sqlwb.exe" as a APPLICATION_EXECUTABLE as the "sqlwb.exe /?"-output is in the source as a comment .. i don't understand why it is not set up to use it ...

in general .. when specifying a path for sql server you can enter any path e.g. C:\AnyPath\ and the check mark is shown with a message saying "Application is ready" ...

will it be possible to create addons for the tools menu as i expected this addon to appear in Right Click a session -> Tools -> SQL ...

KR
plague

https://www.gpunktschmitz.com

Clock11 yrs

Hi,
I have both SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Server Management Studio Express and I can't find sqlwb.exe but your right, if I do ssms.exe /?, the command line show sqlwb.exe. I will add support to this application and I will fix the application ready problem.

For the tool Addon, it's planned, but not for this release, thank you

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock11 yrs

that's strange .. what version of sql server management studio have you installed?
i've installed the management studio from the sql 2005 cd .. sqlwb version 2005.090.4035.00

KR
plague

https://www.gpunktschmitz.com

Clock11 yrs

Hi,
Maybe it's that, I use the SQL Server 2008. I will try to find it, maybe it missed in the install options.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock11 yrs

I read up on this yesterday. In SSMS 2005 the exe is called sqlwb.exe, because the preceding version was named SQL Workbench but midway through development of 2005 they changed the application name to SQL Server Management Studio and failed to rename the exe. For SMSS 2008 they corrected the exe name to reflect the application name change.

Clock11 yrs

Hi,
Thanks you for the info, I will support both name. It's now clear.

David Hervieux
Devolutions inc.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock11 yrs