Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Support

Unable to Connect Clients to Devolutions Server

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

So I have the devolutions server set up here. I've followed the instructions precisely and eliminated connection errors to database however, whenever I set up a client and use the devolutions server option, I am getting error, windows authentication is disabled. I am also only able to get a successful connection to the database when using integrated authentication. How can I get around this? Also when I try and browse to the website with the devolution database on it I get a login error. I am trying to set this up to where users can authenticate through AD. I have gone through your manuals to make sure Windows authentication is turned on.

Below is the error I see on the webpage. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'm out of ideas.

Server Error in '/DVLS' Application.Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'CIC\MONITOR$'.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed.

Clock3 yrs

In addition the devolutions server installed with no errors, database created with no errors when I followed the prompt in the application.

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

Have you stumbled upon this article to configure Windows authentication?
https://helpserver.devolutions.net/configure_windowsauthentication.htm

Best regards,

Mark Beausejour

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Yes I have and I have the options set up as it is directed.

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

I am trying to understand what is the issue exactly and I am a little bit confused.

In the second line of your first post, you mentioned that Windows Authentication is disabled. At the end of your first paragraph in your first post, you mentioned that the Windows Authentication is enabled.

Could you post a print screen of the error message that you receive as well as a print screen of where you get this error exactly?

Do you receive the error when you try to authenticate to the data source in the server settings or at the opening of the application?

Are you able to access Devolutions Server via the website?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

ok.

1.) In the second line of your first post, you mentioned that Windows Authentication is disabled. At the end of your first paragraph in your first post, you mentioned that the Windows Authentication is enabled.

Windows authentication is enabled per your guide, however the application continues to state that windows authentication is disabled. Below is a screen shot.
I get this message upon startup of the program. Screenshots are in attached word doc under #1.

2.) Could you post a print screen of the error message that you receive as well as a print screen of where you get this error exactly?

Check attached screenshots on word doc next to #1

3.) Do you receive the error when you try to authenticate to the data source in the server settings or at the opening of the application?

Yes I do. I will attach screenshot next to #3 in word doc. This is after I push test connection.

4.) Are you able to access Devolutions Server via the website?

No I am not. I get this error.

URL: http://monitor.cic.scic.com/dvls/

Server Error in '/DVLS' Application.
Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'CIC\MONITOR$'.] System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +356 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +117 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +267 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +318 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) +132 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) +246 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +122 Devolutions.Server.DatabaseManager.GetDataSet(String sql, IEnumerable`1 parameters, CommandType commandType) +78 Devolutions.Server.DataSourceManager.GetDataSourceSettingsDataTable() +380 Devolutions.Server.DataSourceManager.GetDataSourceSettingsEntity(SessionContext context, String connectionCacheID) +33 Devolutions.Server.BusinessDataSourceService.get_DataSourceSettings() +124 Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.SecurityProviderManager.get_Provider() +71 Devolutions.Server.DataSourceManager.InitializeSecurityProvider() +12 Devolutions.Server.Global.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +764 [HttpException (0x80004005): Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'CIC\MONITOR$'.] System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +540 System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +186 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +172 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +402 System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +343 [HttpException (0x80004005): Cannot open database "RDMS" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'CIC\MONITOR$'.] System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +539 System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +125 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +731

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1586.0

Screenshots for devolutions RDMS.docx
Clock3 yrs

Hello,

The error message Login failed for user 'CIC\MONITOR$' can be resolved by following the steps on this online help page https://helpserver.devolutions.net/troubleshooting_loginfailed.htm.

Next, in your data source configuration, the Server field must be the same URL as the one you use in the web browser to connect on your DVLS instance.
So please replace the http://127.0.0.1/dvls with this URL http://monitor.cic.scic.com/dvls/.

About the Windows Authentication issue, please follow the instructions on this online help page to activate the Windows Authentication feature on your DVLS instance https://helpserver.devolutions.net/configure_windowsauthentication.htm.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

OK guys, thanks for you help thus far. I've gotten it to the point where the remote desktop manager is authenticating with AD Credentials.

I have another question. When I pull up the devolutions server webpage, I am being asked for a login. I have tried my AD user account, administrator account which I used to set up the database and they are both not working. I've also tried the account I configured for the IIS application pool, RDMRunner.

What credentials should I be using here? Is this something that I have to set up? I'll attach a screenshot.

Login prompt devolutions server.docx
Clock3 yrs

Hi can I get an update on this?

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

To be able to connect on the web page or from the client, you must create a user in the User Management section or activate the Automatic User Creation feature in the Server Settings of your DVLS instance.

Here is the link to the online help about User Management, Automatic User Creation and Domain settings.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs