Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Usability Enhancement suggestions

Hi,
Is there a way to move the Settngs from Appdata to a different path? Do you support a portable installation either in portableApps format, or a separate "Installer" in zip-only format which uses Config Files from the local install directory?

Search
I moved the Search field from the Status Bar to the Navigation, so i save the status Bar Space.
I would prefer to put the Search field to the top and maybe (options) put the Data source to the bottom.
Nice would be to have the search field on top of the Tabs (Favorites, history,...) and use the search for all of these tabs contents.
The reason: All important Window Control GUI elements are on the top of the Screen (Thats why i have my taskbar at the top) and this one element on the bottom changes the paradigm and slows the workflow.
The tooltip (Search icon) still shows the default Keyboard shortcuts, even when the where changed via the options.

TOP Pane
When the Top Pane is hidden there are no Buttons (Quick Access Toolbar) and no Menus visible at the top. It can be shown via the Window Menu (Alt-Space) but i have a suggestion to simplify this.

Could you separate the visibility of Quick Access Toolbar and Menus? I would like to show the Quick Access Toolbar but hide the menu bar.
I would suggest a toggle button to hide/show the Top Pane just right to the application window icon.

This would allow even better Space Saving.

Options
Multiple Connections per session (Advanced Options) might be good to move to the session option so it can be dis/enabled for specific servers.

Tools
Does the tools - Services, Computer Management ... use the saved Credentials? It looks it uses the local Windows credentials (normal user) and not the saved ones (Admin user).

Update
Quick Access toolbar
is there any way to define the location of custom (to the Quick access bar) added buttons? Or do i have to remove all icons an add them in the order i want?

The List menu buttons from the "Home - View" Toolbar (Details, Information,..) have a generic Ball icon when added to quick access toolbar, maybe a button with drop down symbol would be better.

View - Panles - Opened Session drop down does nothing.

When you click on "View Password" the Password should be hidden and displayed after unlocking it with a button, copy should work while hidden <- See SecretServer

Thanks and Regards,

Peter
edited by POI on 4/5/2013

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I will try to answer you the best I could, but this is big post

#1: Config: Here is a topic for the portable version: http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/installation_portableusb.htm

You can also change the configuration path:
http://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/installation_configurationfilelocation.htm

#2 Search. I will see if I can allow more customization but I can't promise you anything. I will fix the tooltip bug.

#3 Top pane; for now I can separate it. I'm limited by the third party we use

#4 Open multiple session: absolutely!

#5 Tools: This use the credentials specify in the tab page Tools of the session

#6 Quick toolbar: The next major release should allow you more customization. For the generic ball image, I will verify why it's like that. I'm sure I can assign an icon but not a drop down

#7 View password: this was requested this way to simplify the process. There is no reason to click on View password if you don't want to see it. The clipboard buttons are there to streamline the process if you only need to copy the value to the clipboard

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
I have a new Feature Request:
the Opened Sessions has a feature to view the "Global Sessions"
The Favourites have a chekcbox "Apply Filter"
the Hostory has none of these, but silently filters the all entries.
It would be great to have both these features availabe to all of these Tabs (Opened Sessions, Favourites and History)

Would combine best when the Search Box could be moved to the top of the Navigation pane (above all the tabs) so it's always accessible. I don't like it on the status bar, because it takes up too much space.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I will verify the apply filter and make sure it's the same on all tab pages.

For the search, it possible to move it from the status bar in Options by unchecking Show filter in status bar.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

I disabled the Search box from the statusbar and have it at the bottom of the Navigation "all entries" - but not visible when other tabs are active that are also influenced by the search/filter.

It would be great to have the search/filter box it at the top (above all other tabs in the navigation). And have the checkbox "Apply Filter" available in all tabs. Also the "Global Sessions" would be nice in the history tab, so we know very fast who recently accessed which server.
regards,
Peter

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I will verify what I can do, but it's more tricky to add the global session in the history since we don't have saved in the database.

By the way, you can use Ctrl+F to get the filter dialog

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Thanks, i was not aware of the filter dialog and the "dual Usage" of the shortcut
I can use Ctrl+F to go to the filter dialog only if i'm not inside an RDP session ;-)

Clock5 yrs

This can be configured for another shortcut or a global shortcut. It's in File->Options Keyboard

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Is there a way to open multiple sessions more quickly? What I mean is, I have to click the group, I find I have to click on the pane to the right to select it correctly, then right click the group icon (Not the name) and then launch. I then get the prompt to verify I want to open the group.

I think I should be able to just right click the group on the left hand pane and open group. I would like to be able to turn off the confirmation screen too. I open some groups several times throughout the day but close them out so others can get in. There seems to be a glitch when selecting the group. If I don't click the right server pane after I highlight the group in the navigation pane on the left it doesn't give me the open group option.

Other than that, I love the product. I recommend it to everyone I work with. Keep up the good work!

Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I can't reproduce it. When I right click on a group name in the tree list, it get selected and I can open the session included. However you are right about the confirmation. This is to avoid to open to many sessions by mistake.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs