Forum / Password Vault Manager - Support

KeePass like auto-type

Hello,

I haven't been able to figure this out - even after reading the documentation: does Vault Manager support auto-filling (auto-typing) credentials into any application (like KeePass' Ctrl-Alt-A) and is the typing sequence configurable (sometimes you don't have enter the username only the password)?

Thorsten

Clock2 yrs

Yes we have the auto typing macro for that:

https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/settings_events_autotypingmacro.htm?zoom_highlightsub=auto+type

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

I tried that via the global hotkey Ctrl+Shift-A: nothing happened. Changed it to Ctrl+Alt-A (which is the default KeePass hotkey) and closed KeePass - still nothing happened. How does PVM "know" which login entry belongs to a certain application window? I have only one entry...

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

The global hot key will perform the action for the currently selected entry.

You do have to specify code for the macro though. In the events tab, after connect section.

Our copy username and password action (no shortcut assigned by default) would be sufficient for most cases, but you would have to perform two paste operations manually.

For customized scenarios like you describe, indeed the typing macro is the most powerful option. You would use our dynamic variables to define the commands that are carried out. $USERNAME$ and $PASSWORD$ being the typical ones. At the lower left of the entry properties, you should see a Variables button that will bring you to the help topic.

The help for the macro commands is on https://help.remotedesktopmanager.com/settings_events_autotypingmacro.htm, it also specifies that you must enable an option to allow the password to be used by a macro.

You have access to key codes that are used to specify special keys, for instance {TAB} or {ENTER}

Sounds like a lot of complicated stuff, but its quite easy and powerfull. Just contact us if you need help for specific scenarios.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I'm a KeePass user and the functionality that would be crucial to me before switching to Vault Manager would be the following: an application presents a password box, I press a hotkey and the credentials are filled in.

As I understand your answer, that is not possible because Password Vault Manager will only fill in the credentials from the currently selected entry.

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

We have added this to our feature request list. It should not be too hard to implement.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

Customers that use Devolutions Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

+1

We previously used MATESO Password Safe. This Programm have 3 global Hotkeys:
CTRL+ALT+U = Type username from selected entry
CTRL+ALT+P = Type password from selected entry
CTRL+ALT+R = Type username<tab>password<enter> from selectedeEntry

A hotkey for typing username and a hotkey for typing password would be verry nice and increase security.
Espessialy when you use Teamviewer or other shared sessions you have clipboard sharing enabled.
When you copy a password to clipboard, the clipboard gets shared to other users and if they paste their clipbord they will get your password.

Regards,
Thomas Kritzinger

Clock2 yrs

@Thomas,

It's possible to configure a shortcut key to copy the username, the password, the domain, ect... The configuration of the key is available through the File -> Options -> User Interface -> Keyboard menu.
2017 06 15 14 43 27

Is this what you are looking for or you are looking for a shortcut key to paste the username, the password, the domain, ect... ?

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

2017-06-15_14-43-27.jpg
Clock2 yrs

@Jeff,

i know that there are hotkeys for using clipboard.
But as i told in my previous post, using clipboard is insecure if you use shared clipboard sessions with other users.
For example you are in a TeamViewer session with a customer and you need to use a password the customer should not know. At the time you copy the password to your clipboard it gets shared with your customers clipboard. If paste his clipboard at this time, he will get your password pasted.

Sometime we have opened multiple TeamViewer sessions. Sometimes we share this sessions with vendor support. And sometimes i share the same TeamViewer session with my colleague which also have opened other TeamViewer sessions. So at the time you copy a password to clipboard you have no idea where this password will end up with clipboard sharing.

In this case it is more secure if you disable the ability to copy password to clipboard and enable support for typing the password to third party applications via hotkey.

Regards,
Thomas Kritzinger

Clock2 yrs

Sorry I missed the details on your previous post. You've made a good point.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs