Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Support

Moving from Windows to Mac

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi All,

Ive got a bit of a strange one that im hoping i could get some help with.

Ive recently moved from windows where i used remote desktop connection manager with a local connections.db file that had all the connections i would need on the daily. The issue that i am having is, it seems since moving from windows to mac, the connection.db file no longer opens properly on the mac version of the program and i cant for the life of me work out why.

The password is definitely correct as i set it up on another windows machine just to double check i wasnt going nuts and it was fine. Is there something i need to do to the file or is this a known problem? I tired looking through the forum a bit but wasnt able to find anything of use.

I tried so setup a new local data source and select my new file as the location however, it seems of all the options available (mysql, xml, ect) none of them actually support the .db file i have been using on Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Is your .db file protected with a password? (Is the Secure with password checkbox in the data source configuration field checked?) If so, this seems to be a bug. I've just tried and it did indeed fail. If you've got the same error as me, you should find an entry in your application log partly saying something like this: "file is encrypted or is not a database". Could you check and let me know? You can view your application log under Help -> View Application Log.

That being said, if encrypting your entire data source is not a must for you, you can create a new SQLite data source from scratch with a new file (and not check the Secure with password checkbox). Then, export your session from RDM Windows and import them back in that newly created data source in RDM Mac. But if keeping your data source encrypted with a password is an important security feature for you, I would wait for us the fix this issue before migrating to RDM Mac.

I'll go investigate this right away and come back to you.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

It's seems I've been a bit too fast in my previous statement. This is indeed expected behavior. The SQLite on Windows and Mac do not use the same encryption and therefore it is impossible to share the same encrypted SQLite data source between Mac and Windows.

You can have an encrypted SQLite data source in Mac though. Just follow my previous instruction, but do check the Secure with password checkbox to make sure the database is created with the right encryption. Then you can export your sessions from RDM Windows and import those into your newly created data source.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thanks for getting back to me mate.

Thats a little unfortunate however i will give your suggestion a try and let you know if i have any issues.

Thanks again.

Clock3 yrs