Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Contact Management

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,
two suggestions regarding the contacts:

• by manual creating a conact the birthday field should not selected the today date - it should be empty (I think the birtday of the contact is in 95% unknown) wink
  • at importing contacts from Outlook / VCard the birthday field from outlook should be used - if no birthday is available, it should also be empty (at the moment the birthday date is set to the import date)
PS: How can be activate a debug log, when when RDM can`t connect to outlook?

Thanks!
Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
#1 Indeed it should be empty by default
#2 Same thing

You can go in Help-> Profiler

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thank you!

I had issues on 2 different Windows10 1607 machines to do a import from Office 2016.

Profiler log:

Main thread (UI)
----------------------------------------
Silent: System.InvalidCastException: Das COM-Objekt des Typs "System.__ComObject" kann nicht in den Schnittstellentyp "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ContactItem" umgewandelt werden. Dieser Vorgang konnte nicht durchgeführt werden, da der QueryInterface-Aufruf an die COM-Komponente für die Schnittstelle mit der IID "{00063021-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}" aufgrund des folgenden Fehlers nicht durchgeführt werden konnte: Schnittstelle nicht unterstützt (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
bei Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.Importers.ContactOutlookImporter.Import()

No Outlook Message - Just a pop up in RDM appears that the connection to Outlook can`t be established.

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Hello Min,

For the first issue with the birthday, it was a little misleading how contact birthdays worked. If you didn't change the birthday, it didn't save it. We will make this more intuitive in the next version. There will be a checkbox and if it's not checked, it won't save the date. I think it should be clearer that way.

Import with VCard and Outlook contacts will now import the birthdays starting with the next version.

As for the issue with the Outlook import not working, I haven't been able to reproduce it. Were you running RDM 32 or 64 bits, and did you make sure Outlook was fully closed before importing?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello Hubert,

thanks for that! Maybe a misunderstanding from my side - but with the checkbox I think it is more intuitive as you said smile
For the Outlook Import Error: I tried it in both variants from RDM 12.4.12.0 (running not as admin), Office is 32bit Revision 16.0.4498.1000; It doesnt matter if Outlook is completely closed or running in background - on every scenario the error messages appears.

Regards,
Min

Clock2 yrs

Hi Hubert,

maybe I found the cause of the error message. Is it possible that RDM ran in this error if in Outlook more than one (Exchange) E-Mail Account are configured? If I delete the second Account, the connection to outlook is succesfull and the contact list appears...

PS: Now by importing the contacts from Outlook the checkbox is CHECKED and the birthday field is set to Saturday, 1st January 4501 Whaaaaa? wink

Regards,
Min

2017-05-18 13_03_20-Accoun_Settings.png
Clock2 yrs

Hello Min,

Good catch on the birth dates. It seems Outlook is a weird one and the date January 1st 4501 is what it considers "empty". Here's a link I found describing this behavior https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_other/in-user-defined-fielddatetimedisplays-weird/d4ca95cb-ec8c-478e-a810-25cfeaa1b671
We'll reflect this in our code so 1/1/4501 doesn't set a birth date in RDM.

As for Outlook, I set up a second exchange account but was unable to reproduce the issue. I feel that maybe the problem isn't that there is two accounts, but that the account you removed caused issues with the import. Would it be possible for you to try with only the account you just now removed and see if it works?

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

..a typical microsoft logic smile ..thanks for the hint!

For the Outlook I created a new profile with only the exchange account that I deleted in the first test.. What should I say.. in this scenario it works also flawless.. Whaaaaa?

Don`t know whats the issue, but it looks that not RDM specific.. And the "workaround" for the contact import is fine for me smile

Thanks for your support Hubert!

Clock2 yrs

Good to hear it Min smile

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs