Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Bug Report

Bug: switching RDP sessions is slow with ribbon UI

Hello,

I've found that switching between (already established) RDP sessions by clicking on their TAB Title is quite slow - up to 5 seconds. This is not happening if I set the old Classic UI (7.x) on the same version 8.1. Can you confirm it?

Thank you,
Nico

Clock6 yrs

I can't reproduce it. Does it happen if you switch to the dashboard?
edited by dhervieux on 3/26/2013

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Yes.
After going to the dashboard, when I return to the same RDP session the screen in not responding for some seconds...

Clock6 yrs

What type of data source do you use?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

XML on a remote network share. It happens also on just two RDP sessions. I'll try with a local XML.

Clock6 yrs

Let me know if this change anything when you are local. If it does, I could add some profiling code to track down the problem.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

Well, it's quite strange. I cannot reproduce the bug on my "normal" Office PC, but only on the production one. Maybe it's related to the lack of DNS and Internet settings there.

I'm investigating further - feel free to send me debug code by PM.

Thank you,
Nico

Clock6 yrs

Let me know if this is related and I will focus the profiling for that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I've made the Profile working by clicking the Refresh button and holding Ctrl. This way I have some logs:

LoadConnectionsFromDataSource...
Xml.GetConnections...
Xml.GetConnections : 623 ms
SaveOfflineFile...
SaveOfflineFile : 0 ms
LoadConnectionsFromDataSource : 698 ms
TreeView.LoadConnectionList...
TreeView.LoadConnectionList : 72 ms
Xml.GetConnections...
Xml.GetConnections : 642 ms
SaveOfflineFile...
LoadConnectionsFromDataSource : 692 ms
TreeView.LoadConnectionList : 54 ms
Connection cache up to date
Xml.GetConnections...
Xml.GetConnections : 594 ms
SaveOfflineFile...
LoadConnectionsFromDataSource : 672 ms
TreeView.LoadConnectionList : 48 ms

Unfortunately, there is nothing logged when I switch between tabbed RDP sessions - so it's not useful there ....

Clock6 yrs

I don't see anything strange. What happened when you've tried it locally?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

I have nothing to add to the solution just wanted to say we have seen severe performance degrades in versions 8.1 and 8.2. Our layout is a terminal server with 20 users RDM 8.20 REnterprise on MSSQL database. We currently have 2300 sessions in our list but we never had any performance issues until 8.1 and 8.2 is even worse. We are seeing 25-40% CPU usage RDM application and many frozen states in the application now where it is unresponsive for up to 30 seconds or more just expanding a tree. The draw speeds of windows is very slow sometimes also. I have ran the profiler and see not difference then what i have seen submitted already. I have tried switching to Classic UI but no difference. I hope it gets better with next version the users are starting to complain and i do not know what to tell them. Can we revert back to older versions eventhough the database is already updated?

Clock6 yrs

Hi,
You can try an older version to see if it makes a difference but I suspect that because of the size of the database. Could you go I Help->Diagnostic and check the values in the Data Source tab page?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock6 yrs

The bug disappeared by itself when we upgraded our VDI infrastructure (and used Windows 7 instead than XP).

Thank you,
Nico

Clock6 yrs