Forum / Remote Desktop Manager IOS - Support

Mssql connection timed out.

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi
We're using ms sql express on premise and mostly everything is working nicely with the windows desktops and integrated active directory logins.

When I try to add the data source from the iOS app I just get 'unable to connect - connection timed out'. I am specifying server in the format server.domain.local\sqlinstance with integrated security domain\username and then pressing 'test server'.

I've tried via wifi at the office, and also via vpn remotely (L2tp and I confirmed I could browse to a web server at a .local address), both seem to give the same result in RDM

It's the latest version on the windows desktops, and I have the latest iOS update and RDM for iOS. I think sql 2014 express on server 2012 r2. Could you point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this please? What other details would you need?

Thanks

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Are you able to ping the server using the ping tool?

You can find the ping tool by going into More -> Tools -> Ping

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi Mathieu
I hadn't noticed that menu but yes, mostly under 20ms (on vpn currently) some higher but under 1000ms and no dropouts/ lost pings I could see.

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

Does it work if you use the server ip directly instead of using the hostname? ip\instance

Best regards

Mathieu Morrissette

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Good thinking, I should have tried that. Sadly though no, it says timeout.

I can't think that we've set a different port for sql on this server but I would have to check, on the windows machines there is no port specified so I assume default port. I also don't remember if there's a security setting in sql to prevent access from external subnets by default - although in theory Im not external on either wifi or vpn.

The server is running the essentials role, I'm not sure if that's relevant - I can't really think it should be.

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

Mat has gone though a good diagnostic process with you, we need to dig deeper.

Do you have access to the logs of SQL Server? It would be helpful to see if the attempt does in fact reach the server.

sql+logs

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

sql_logs.png
Clock3 yrs

I'll have to look at those tomorrow, I will let you know. Thanks for the help so far.

Clock3 yrs

Hi I've had a look in the log and there doesn't seem to be anything noted about the login, good bad or indifferent. I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm looking at in that log.

In the sql configuration for the RDM instance it says TCP/IP and named pipes are enabled and look to be on port 2301 although again not sure why PCs are working happily but not iOS.

Clock3 yrs

Ok, if you have access, might as well book a remote session. I will send a private message shortly

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

@Everyone,

After a remote session with Jon Rixon, the issue was caused by the DNS that was returning two IP addresses.

Everything is working fine now.

Best regards,

Jeff Dagenais

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi
Just to add some things for anyone else arriving here having issues with SQL.

In order for the logging to work, we had to restart the SQL Instance.

We also set the port to be static 1433 instead of dynamic, through SQL Configuration > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for Instance > TCP/IP > IP Addresses > Set the TCP Port to 1433 under the IPALL section at the bottom, and delete the 0 from 'TCP Dymanic Ports' in the IPx section - whichever is your correct primary IP address.

We didn't actually end up deleting the incorrect DNS record yet, and when running the ping command (More > Tools > Ping) it WAS always resolving to the correct expected address.

I will test via VPN later and report back, but for now access via WIFI is working well.

Clock3 yrs

Thx Jon for adding this info.

The take home message for the support team is that the fact that a RDM-Win was able to get to the server is not a good indicator that there are no DNS issues. Ping was running fine from the device as well, its just the fact that Jon noticed that the IP was different than the one shown in SQL Configuration Manager where we set the port.

We'll be adding some info in our troubleshooting topic.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs