Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Allow Export options without granting additional permissions

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi everyone,

I was told by Devolutions Support that the only way to grant Export privileges for non-Administrator users is to grant Add+Edit permissions to those users. This is a security concern as we need our users to be able to get the information from there (as they have permissions to view and access the sessions/connections/passwords), but we need that only Administrators can Add/Edit/Remove information from the database.

I understand that for Import privilege, we should need Add+Edit, as importing information will modify the current data, but exporting should only read the information and send it to a readable file.

Can you please verify if it's possible to modify the way this privileges/permissions work in RDM, so we can prevent security issues and allow some users to Export data?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
Unfortunately we see a bigger security concern if you can export the data and you don't have the edit right. This means that somebody who has no reveal access can view everything if they export. This is explanation why both right are required.

So my question is more: why do you them to export the data?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,
We have our servers inventory synchronized with RDM, so exporting the servers list, including the folders hierarchy allows the users to have a spreadsheet with the list they need from there. Also, some users will export the shared data source to import that information (full or filtered) to their local data sources, where they will be able to customize it.
If the users can view and connect to the servers, that means that they can see the server names, and other properties for each session. So exporting that visible information should be something allowed. As an example, if I have an Excel sheet blocked to be modified but the users can see the information there, I need the users to be able to copy/paste the information to other document.
Is there any way the privileges/permissions way to work can be modified to allow the users to save the information they can see in the Folders/Sessions list?
Please let me know if I can provide further information, or if you have any doubt regarding the current need we have.
Thanks in advance!

Clock2 yrs

Do you them to export the credentials?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No, credentials are not needed, just the containers/folders and sessions.

Clock2 yrs