Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - PowerShell Repository

Can't export users security groups and roles

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello im triying to get this information out so i can import it in new server (yes im migrating) but csv appears blank, html with no data, xml and xls the same.

Can anybody help me? im working on this for a few days and its not working

Clock3 yrs

Moving this thread to the powershell forum as it is the only option at this time.

Erica will get back to you tomorrow, she has scripts to migrate that kind of stuff. We are in the process of finalizing them in order to publish them, but they still need a little work.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Ok, i will need a import script also to import in new server.

Thanks

Clock3 yrs

The full export for sites and credentials its to trust or also i will need to do it with powershell script?, is there a full export for powershell so i can use on migration?

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

You will find attached to this post, a PowerShell script to migrate the sessions, roles and security groups from a data source to another one. This script doesn't export the users. About the private vault and the user specific settings, because this information is only available for the user, they will have to export these information themselves.

This script must be run on a computer which RDM is already installed. Two data sources must exist in RDM, the data source you want to export the information and the data source which will receive it. You have to run the script outside of RDM.

Update :
- This script is intended to be run with Remote Desktop Manager 12.x.
- It is important to make a backup of your data source prior to use these scripts.
- This script is for the migration of your data source into a new data source, so it will wipe out the content of the destination data source.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

MoveDataSource.ps1
Clock3 yrs

Great but i need to export everything for example to XML file and be able to import it elsewhere on another Data Source

Clock3 yrs

with "Elsewhere" i mean an entirely different server on a different network , is there a way to fully migrate every entry on the RDM so it will make easy the migration?

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

We will need to split the script in two parts, one for the export which you will run on the first network, then the import on the other network. It shouldnt take too long.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

ok, do you have an ETA for it?.

Kind regards

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

You will find attached to this post two PowerShell scripts. One to export the data source into XML files and one to import these files into a new data source.

Update :

- These scripts are intended to be run with Remote Desktop Manager 12.x.
- It is important to make a backup of your data source prior to use these scripts.
- These scripts are for the migration of your data source into a new data source, so it will wipe out the content of the destination data source.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

ExportDataSource.ps1
ImportDataSource.ps1
Clock3 yrs

great, thanks ill test and confirm.
This should be run outside of the tools in RDM itself?

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

Yes these scripts must be run on a computer where RDM is installed. They must be run directly in PowerShell, not through RDM.

And the data sources (export and destination) must be already created in RDM.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hi i can't run it ill change the first line to the right directory but "RemoteDesktopManager.PowerShellModule.ps1" doesn't exist, how can i do this instead?.

If we can set a webex and you can help me it would be better mail is [DELETED]

Clock3 yrs

I would advise against using this script, as after executing the first script provided above, I have just wiped all the sessions in the target RDM Data Source, and it did not copy any users or groups.

Best regards,
Craig

Clock3 yrs

Hello Craig,

What version of RDM are you using?

What data source are you connected to?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Hello Craigh its right, the import script erase all sessions by deffault and you should have the option to chose when executing the script

Clock3 yrs

Hello,

The basic premise of these scripts was to perform a migration, that is still the only intent.

For synchronizing data, we have our Synchronizer family of entries that have a lot of business logic built-in. We do not want to replicate all of that logic in external powershell scripts. If you want more features in the Synchronizer, we will handle them as feature requests.

I will discuss this with Erica, but I feel that we will add a confirmation/warning, or do the deletion only when there is a -Force parameter as seems to become the norm in the Powershell community.

Best regards,

Maurice Côté

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs