Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Time Based Access

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Good Morning,

The reason we haven't moved out PW management over to PWVault, is that we need to be able to issue time based passwords.

E.G. we give a user access to a password, with either R or R/W access for a specified timeframe.

Are there any plans to implement this?

Thanks
Mark

Clock2 yrs

hi Mark,
This is on our todo list for Devolutions Server. We need a reliable way to check the time. Do you have another idea?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

David,

Thanks for the reply.

I have yet to see an infallible way of checking the time on a system! Internet connections can go down, system clocks can get out of sync.

One way that does spring to mind is instead of a 'Time Based', incorporate an expiration date.

The system can check the expiration date against a specified source (maybe user defined NTP server), and should the connection to that fail, it could check against system time as a backup.

You could then make the expiration increments hourly, which means that the server only needs to successfully check the time once per hour, and then run through all Time-Based-Access (TBA) to check no expiration dates/times have expired.

This is better to an actual time countdown on passwords, where the server would constantly need to keep track of how long each TBA has been running for.

You could then also build in various failsafes for the check - with possible admin defined actions - such as if the time cannot be verified, then all TBAs are suspended until they are (with a retry every 30 seconds or so; then once verified back to an on the hour check).

Sorry if that's more wordy, or if i'm teaching you to suck eggs Big Grin

Mark

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
I like it. I think that's something we can do. I will try to add this for the next major release.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs