Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Connect while expired

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi there!

Every 6 months, we're required to perform an update on our servers. In order to keep track of that, I use the Expiration option in Session>Properties>More>Expiration>Expire.

However, once we're not able to perform the upgrade in time, the flag status changes to Expired. This prevents us from connecting as of that moment.
As a workaround, we change the flag status back to Default or Warning, but I rather keep them on Expired.

Is there an option that makes it able to connect while the status is Expired?
If not, can this be created?

Thanks, Rick

Clock2 yrs

Hi Rick,
We could add a policy for that. I will enter a feature request.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,

That would be awesome!

What is the usual turnaround for such a feature request?
In that case I can set the correct expectations at my team.

Thanks,
Rick

Clock2 yrs

This is relatively easy to do. That the kind of task we do in a minor update. You can expect this in less than a month.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Mr Willeme,

I have been assigned to this feature and will keep you updated on the progress.

Sorry for the delay we ended up having other more pressing matters to attend to first.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thank you Michaël for reaching out to me.
Just let me know if you need more input on the requested change.

Thanks,
Rick

Clock2 yrs

Mr Willeme,

This feature has been completed as a policy, however we have just decided to change it to a data source setting instead as a way to improve security.

Since the changes to make are minor it should be done by the end of the day and be available in the next beta of RDM.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

As mentioned earlier, the feature has been added in the data source settings and will be available in the next beta of RDM.

To enable the connection to an expired session, go in Administration -> Data Source Settings -> General -> Advanced

EnableExpiredConnection

Please let me know if you encounter any problems

Best Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

EnableExpiredConnection.PNG
Clock2 yrs

Thank you Michaël,

Just updated my client to v12.5.4.0, but noticed that the option is missing.
Is there a chance this is only available for advanced DB connection?
I'm currently limited to MS Access DB only.

Please advise.

Rick

Clock2 yrs

Hello Rick,
Unfortunately Access, Xml and SQLite data source does not contains the data source settings and it's not possible to add the setting. You should really consider SQL Server Express since you will get many other benefits like the logs, attachments and the data source settings.

Sorry about that.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,

That's a serious bummer..
Actually have seen multiple benefits of using SQL Server, but have been pushed back so far because of server costs.
Still would appreciate if these advanced functions would be available for MS Access as well. Basically it comes down to creating extra tables, right?

Thanks,
Rick

Clock2 yrs

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by by server cost. SQL Server Express is free and honestly RDM works very well on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by by server cost. SQL Server Express is free and honestly RDM works very well on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads

Regards

Correct. However, internal policies require me to only install SQL databases on servers instead of workstations upset

Clock2 yrs

I see. I will see what we can do but I can't promise you anything.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks for the effort!
I'm definitely sure that you would make a lot of customers very happy. worship

Clock2 yrs

Mr Willeme,

This feature has been added internally in the form of a policy and should be available in the next minor release of RDM.

To activate this policy you need to add it in your registry editor (open it by pressing your windows key + R then type regedit in the window that opened).

- Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Policies -> Devolutions -> RemoteDesktopManager.

- If "Devolutions" or "RemoteDesktopManager" don't exist you'll have to create them by using New -> Key)

- After the RemoteDesktopManager key is created you can right click it then go in new -> DWORD (32-bit) value.

- Name the DWORD "EnableConnectionAfterExpiration", set it's value to 1 and then restart RDM if it was open.

If you experience any problems let me know on this thread.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs