Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

IBM i on Power Access Client

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi, I see the old 5250 client (pcomm 5250) is available in Devolutions, would it be possible to get the new client added? It is java based and has a command line options to open a session. I have it running in a command line but it pops out to it's own window and running it in a tab would be easier. This is the command I use to start it: "\IBM\ClientSolutions\Start_Programs\Windows_x86-64\acslaunch_win-64.exe /plugin=5250 /system=systemname /name=sessionname /wide"

The web site is located here: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html

The client can also be started directly like this: "java -jar C:\IBMiAccess\acsbundle.jar"

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
I will add this to our todo list.

We will need your help to test.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks David, I will be glad to help test!

Clock2 yrs

Hello Mr. Green,

When you mention the pcomm5250 are you talking about our AddOn for IBM Personal communications ?

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

I see this thread is about 10 months old, is there any progress in supporting the new 5250 client from IBM?
This new client java application is now used for IBM Power Systems, IBM i operating system (previous OS/400 & AS/400)

https://www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html

I would like the user/password integration.
I am available for testing purposes.

Clock12 mths

I could supply a few additional testers as well...

Clock12 mths

Hello,

We just wanted to make sure. Is what you are asking for an update for an IBM add-on we currently have in RDM or are you asking for a brand new add-on ?

If it was an add-on we currently have, what were you using in the past? Was it IBM personal communications?

Best regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

I'm a new RDM user. I do not use the current IBM addon.
The current "IBM Personal Communications" add on is not specific for IBM i (OS/400).
It also needs a license.

All current IBM i customers use the new IBM ACS (Client Solutions).
And it does not need a Client license, only a IBM i server license.

It would be great if it is integrated into RDM with an addon.

Clock12 mths

Thank you for the input. We'll get working on this as soon as possible and keep you updated on the progress.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

Hello,

A first build has been done for the IBM i Access AddOn. I wasn't sure if you wanted this AddOn to "Logon" to IBM i Access or if you wanted it to start a 5250 emulator to a specified system.

At the moment, the AddOn has been setup to work with the "Logon" command line. A .dll file has been linked to this reply so that you can test and see if it works like intended.

If it does then please let me know and I'll release the AddOn after some finishing touches. If it doesn't then please tell me what's wrong and I'll have a new version ready for testing soon after.

PS, the icon the IBMiAccess session isn't the correct one at the moment and will be fixed before it is released. Don't pay it any mind.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

IBMiAccessAddOn1.0.0.0.zip
Clock11 mths

Hi,

Thanks for this add-in. I've been waiting for this feature...
I downloaded the dll and placed it in the RDM installation folder.
When I create a new session, the add-in requests for acslaunch_win-32.exe.
I have however the 64-bit version installed (acslaunch_win-64.exe).
Is it possible to check on both executables?

Thanks !

Clock10 mths

Hello David,

I've linked a new .dll file to this message and have set the 64-bit client as the default executable for the add-on.

It's now possible to start IBM using acslaunch_win-32.exe, acslaunch_win-64.exe or acsbundle.jar.

Please do let me know if everything works as intended or if any issues need to be fixed.

Best Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi,

I now get a step further.
I get a message from IBM i access 'the function completed successful' but no session to the IBM i server.
When i uncheck the option 'use GUI' a dos-window flashes by. I managed to capture it using printscreen.
Please have a look at the attachements.

It looks like it launches IBM i access OK, but there is a problem with the parameters passed.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Clock10 mths

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to test out. I'll try changing the command line one more time and the parameters will change a little bit. Instead of starting "IBM i Access" I'll go straight for the opening of a 5250 session and see if the results are any better.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hello,

Linked to this reply is a new version of the add-on using a completely different command line. This command line doesn't accept login parameters so I'm not too sure if you'll have to enter your credentials every time you start a 5250 session or if once will be enough for IBM i access to remember them.

The only informations you'll need to enter are your system's name and your 5250 session's name.

Please keep me posted on the results.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi Michaël,

I apologize for the late reply. I just tested the new dll. It now indeed opens a 5250 session to the correct system.
It would be nice if I could also specify the workstation ID.
Now it presumes the AS400 will automatically generate a workstation ID, but not all AS400 systems are configured to do that.
A logon to such a system would now not be possible.
The workstation ID is not the same as a session name.

Would it be possible to open the 5250 session in a tab instead of external?

Apart from that it would also be nice to be able to open the IBM i access solutions main screen separately in a tab by launching "C:\Users\Public\IBM\ClientSolutions\Start_Programs\Windows_x86-64\acslaunch_win-64.exe" without parameters.

Kind regards

David

Clock10 mths

Hello David,

A new version of the add-on has been completed. The workstation ID has been added as well as a "Mode" combobox where you can choose to launch a 5250 session or IBM i Access's executable directly with no parameters.

The embedded mode has also been added.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

IBMiAccess1.0.0.0.zip
Clock10 mths

Hi Michaël,

Thanks for this update... great support smile

I just quickly tested both new feature.
The IBM i access mode works fine.
However in both modes when I select to open the application in Embedded mode (tabbed), it opens a new tab, but it disappears immediately and then it opens the application externally.

Do you think you can fix this behaviour?

Kind regards,

David

Clock10 mths

Hello David,

When you go in your cmd and type "C:\Users\Public\IBM\ClientSolutions\Start_Programs\Windows_x86-64\acslaunch_win-64.exe", do you get the following message :

Unable to load 64-bit Java module.
Retrying with Windows_i386-32/acslaunch_win-32.exe ?

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi Michaël,

yes that is correct.
I have changed the configuration of the add-on to use the 32bit executable and now it works perfectly

Thanks !

Clock10 mths

Hi David,

That's great!

I'll do some finishing touches on the add-on and release an official version.

Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi Michaël,

I just discovered one problem.
When I open an 5250 session in tabbed mode. I'm uabled to enter text in my 5250 session. It looks like my keyboard is not working when I focus on the tabbed 5250 session. the Arrow-keys or the tab key do not work either.
I couldn't test this yesterday because I hadn't a system to connect to in the neighborhood.

Can you have a look at this?

Kind regards,

David

Clock10 mths

Hello David,

Sadly this is a bug which occurs often when embedding add-ons and there's nothing we can do about it.

The official version of the add-on will be changed by the end of the day so that it won't support the embedded mode.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Michaël Beaudin

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths