Forum / Devolutions Password Server - Feature Request

Default Templates - Distributed by DVLS webAPI

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Today we have "Default Templates" configured in the Data Source Settings.
It is configured using a read only share on the DVLS server.

This is fine if you contact the webservices from the same domain/network as the server.
But if we want to connect to our datasource from other allowed networks, only allowing communication with the webAPI over https, then RDM can't retrieved the templates from the share.

Is it possible to have a feature for DVLS datasources, where Default Templates are received from the WebAPI only?
(Notice, we still need to be able to write to the templates from the RDM client on the DVLS server it self.)

BR

Michael

Clock2 yrs

Hi Michael,
I will add this to our todo list. We would need a way to save the default template on the server but it's a good idea.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Suggestion

1. Keep Default templates editing as it is today, with the Path option.
2. Add option in Datasource Settings of DVLS to force clients to read templates from WebAPI (read always WebAPI, write only to the shared)

:-)

Clock2 yrs

Thank you, it's now on our todo list

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Sounds good.
Any progress on the feature?
We would very much like to move our DVLS, but not allow Access to a windows share from our laptops, when accessing DVLS from various outside networks.

Regards

Michael Leeming

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
I can't give you a timeframe but this is something on the top of the list.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David

Any news about this?

We are still running with local saved password on every users local machine and every now and then someone is suddenly missing the templates, which means they create sessions with default settings, not from the templates.

So we need to be able to define DVLS as the main template repository "path"
As I suggested earlier

--
1. Keep Default templates editing as it is today, with the Path option.
2. Add option in Datasource Settings of DVLS to force clients to read templates from WebAPI (read always WebAPI, write only to the shared)

--

Clock12 mths

It's exactly what we want to do but it's not implemented yet.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

Any progress?

It has become more and more of an annoyance for us, as some of our users create new objects and are sometimes missing our own pre-defined templates.
Also if we update a template, everyone needs to update their local copy of the templates, as this is our workaround to have templates available everywhere.

Another thing I have thought about.
We have a default local path for the templates, it is a windows path, which is not compatible with our MAC users.
This will hopefully also be addressed when moving it to the webservices on dvls.

/Michael

Clock10 mths

Hi,
Here is how we plan to resolve the issue. Instead of moving the default settings into the database, you will be able to define templates as default settings. The application will let you choose from those templates when adding a new entry. This means that by creating only one template for RDP (as an example), you will get the default settings stored into the template.

We will also add an option to force the usage of the template and forbid the usage of a blank template. This is in progress currently and it should be soon available.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock10 mths

Hi David

I'm not sure this feature has been implemented yet, is it still in progress?
If available, which versions of DVLS/RDM do we need to upgrade to?

Regards

Michael Leeming

Clock2 mths

I have tested latest versions of DVLS/RDM

Our current data source settings does not allow local templates, but this doesn't seem to include "Default settings" of RDP sessions in local RDM installations.

1. Using RDM on our DVLS server I changed the default settings of the RDP session to our needs.
2. I have then made only 1 Template in the Database, which is based on the RDP session default settings above, I called it "DEFAULT"
3. When opening a remote RDM and connect to the data source, then creating a new RDP session object prompts me to choose between "Blank" (Local RDM default settings for RDP) and "DEFAULT" (our database RDP Template)
4. By default RDM expects me to choose "Blank"

How do we get rid of the "Blank" entry and force remote RDM connected to our data source to use the only RDP template available from the database?
In most cases we would only have a single template for each Session type or other object types, so having to make sure users don't use the "Blank" non-template, is going to be easier, if we can hide it or better yet not allow local templates or local Default settings for various object types.

Regards

Michael Leeming

Clock2 mths

I have now found the "Template list only" setting in data source settings in "add entry mode"
template list only

So this seems to have cleared up the matter for me, but I have some questions

1. Why does the new RDP session type add the template name in the "Name" and "Host" fields? When we used default templates path to template files, these fields were blank when creating a new session.

2. Do we really need to make a template for each Session type etc. in every repository we have? First test show default database templates are bound to repositories. If so, is there any easy way to do this across repositories? And any easy way to maintain the templates in the future, if we need to keep them identical?

3. Is it possible to have all database templates in the default repository and allow them to be shared across repositories? (or link each templates needed in the repository to the templates in Default repository), so that we only need to maintain the templates in one place?

Regards

Michael Leeming

template_list_only.JPG
Clock2 mths

Hello,
I will add the cross-repository template feature to our todo list. I will ask our team to check and I think it's a bug.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

RDM 13.6.7.0 / DVLS 5.1.1.0

I'm having *extreme* issues with the template I made for a Folder

Using an Administrator user I can reproduce this issue again and again

1. Open Default setting for Folder type and only changed Credentials to Inherited (not sure this step has any thing to do with my issue)
2. Add Database template -> Entry = Folder -> General Folder
3. I called it "Default Folder"
4. Create a folder somewhere in the tree, and name the folder somthing random, ie. "TestFolder"
4a. RDM stalls for 30-60 seconds creating the new folder and at some point the folder shows in the tree.
5. Now the Database Template which before was called "Default Folder" has renames itself to "TestFolder"
6. After this rename has happend, I receive the message "Unable to add folder. At least on template is required."
6a. When not having a General Folder template, it doesn't seem to make fallback to "Blank"/"Default local Settings" of a Folder entry and I don't wish to allow showing "Blank" entries for all other templates as a workaround.

Not sure if the problem only happens when using an Administrator user or if it only happens when creating folders with the same user that created the database template, other Folder templates don't seem to have the issue. (not certain about the last part about other folder templates)

Bonus info
Yesterday I finished my upgrade of DVLS
I copied the database from our old DVLS 4.5.0.0 to our new DVLS 5.1.1.0
I then used "Devolutions Password Server Console" to upgrade the database version directly from 315 to 419
Then reconfigured the DVLS Server settings again.
I can connect with users and use most things (a bit slower than before i think, but mostly it seems to work)
Could this type of upgrade in any way have caused the strange things with the Folder template above?

Clock2 mths

We just did a roll back on all our clients, back to RDM 12.5.4.0 and connecting to our old DVLS 4.5.0.0

One thing was that the Folder template was acting strange and slowness in general, compared to our old setup.
Another thing was various issues popping up suddenly

- Connecting to force tunnel VPN and then closing the VPN connections again - Users lose all edit permissions until restart of RDM
- Opening RDM as an administrator and suddenly no edit permissions in any folders, needed restart of RDM to resolve
- Editing entries throwing XML errors every now and then.

The first 2 above sounds like local caching issues (maybe after "cache only" or "offline" scenarios, but not confirmed)
How robust is change between Offline and Online caching modes in newer RDM/DVLS?

XML errors seem to show up suddenly also, not always for the same type of operations.

I must admit I have had very mixed results upgrading DVLS and RDM over the last couple of years.
Many core features become unstable.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

About your template issue with DPS version 5.1.1.0, I will test this on our environment and see if I can reproduce it also on beta versions.

About the issues with DVLS version 4.5.0.0 and RDM 12.5.4.0, we do not recommend to use them anymore. We know that DVLS version 4.7.1.0 and RDM 12.6.8.0 are more stable than those old versions. A lot of fixes has been made since then. It is even preferable to continue to use version 5.1.1.0 with RDM 13.6.7.0. And it's even better with latest beta of DPS 5.9.6.0/RDM 13.9.7.0. And yes the Offline mode is much more robust in beta versions.

About your bonus info, the method you use to upgrade the database should not cause strange issues or cause any database damages. The upgrade process remove the old web application, install the new one and the upgrade the database. So what you have accomplished is right.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

No, the issues I just mentioned were with latest versions of DVLS and RDM (not beta), so we went back to DVLS 4.5.0.0 and RDM 12.5.4.0 again.

Regarding Offline mode, this feature has been around for a very long time, we are not using it in DVLS 4.5.0.0, as it was not robust enough. Reason I enabled it in 5.1.1.0 is because I needed users to go Offline while connected to force tunnel VPN connections. In a force VPN tunnel the session with DVLS is suddenly coming from another IP address in the world. This is also much better handled in the old versions compared to the new versions. But with a robust Offline mode, we could maybe live with using Offline mode while connected to VPN with force tunnel (non-split tunnel VPN)

We currently have 2 servers with DVLS installed, one with the old DVLS and another with the newest DVLS (non beta)
So as I understand it, we can always move the old database to the new DVLS server and simply click upgrade, but after the upgrade with need to reconfigure the DVLS name, another DVLS serial and IIS integration again, as the database restored was configured on another server.

My point is, that too many core features get unstable when installing latest releases from your website, I'm not keen to install beta releases in our production environment. Beta's should be the unstable, not the releases. Especially core features should be robust in the releases.

Clock2 mths

You wrote:

The upgrade process remove the old web application, install the new one and the upgrade the database. So what you have accomplished is right.

But this is not quite my case.
I'm moving an old database into an already updated DVLS 5.1.1.0 server and upgrade the database.
This task does not recreate the Web application, but it is already updated as it is already DVLS 5.1.1.0
Upgrading DVLS with online download or zip file will recreate the web application, but only makes sense when the web application needs to be upgraded, which is not the case here.

Regards

Michael

Clock2 mths

Antoher thing I have noticed is that it is impossible to change Offline settings in "Data Source Settings" to "Disabled" or "Read/Write", it keeps reverting to "Read only" when returning to "Data Source Settings" after trying to save one of the other options. However it is possible to save how many days offline cache is allowed. (DVLS 5.1.1.0)

Clock2 mths

Hello,

This Offline issue is fixed in beta version 5.9.8.0.

Have you tried from the Console, the web interface or within RDM in the Administration menu?

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

Customers that use Devolutions Password Server are provided free remote sessions for performing upgrades. Please send a request to the Devolutions Service Desk to get the process started.

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

I am unable to reproduce your template issue when you rename the folder created from a database template.

Are you available for a remote session later this week so I can see what are the exact steps you do to reproduce this? If so, please send us an email at ticket@devolutions.net with a link to that forum thread.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

For your information, a ticket is already opened for the database templates that are not available in all repositories. For future references, the ticket number is WIN-815. The engineering department is working hard on this one and it is not easy as it seems to be. We will notify you as soon as they find a solution.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

I sent an email with recording at other tests I made.

Clock2 mths

Hello,

Thank you very much.

@everyone, we have been able to reproduce the template issue. A ticket has been submitted to our engineer department. The ticket number is WIN-1319.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock2 mths

Hello,

The template issue has been resolved. The fix is included in RDM version 14 and DPS version 6.0.
You can download RDM here https://remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download
You can download DPS here https://server.devolutions.net/home/download

*EDIT* Only the issue WIN-815 related to the Templates that ware not available over all repositories is fixed.

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock27 days

Hello,

The template issue when trying to do Add - Add Folder and select a Folder Template issue related to ticket WIN-1319 has been resolved and the fix is included in RDM version 14.0.3. You can download this version here https://remotedesktopmanager.com/home/download

Best regards,

Érica Poirier

signaturesignature

Clock18 days