Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

Broadcast input to several terminals

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Good day,

I switched from Iterm2 to Remote desktop manager and use internal Iterm to make ssh connections. The thing I miss here is the input broadcasting (described here http://korishev.com/blog/2014/02/28/iterm2-broadcast-input/ ) Basically if there are several remote servers with the same setup it is useful to execute the same commands on them simultaneously. I would be glad to see this feature in Remote desktop manager

Thanks

Clock3 yrs

I've tried this feature a bit and I would just like to confirm how you would like it to translate to RDM.

As I see it, it seems relatively simple, it sends the input you send to one terminal to all others. How would you see this in RDM? Would we use a similar set of menu options that allows you to send input to all other currently opened iTerm session in RDM? Or did you have something else in mind?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Just thoughts:

• broadcast should work only for active windows(if they split, for example)
  • each window should control itself if it wants to participate in broadcast
  • window itself should show that it participates in broadcast(maybe additional text in header, or different colour)

I found menu item when I right clicked(toggle broadcasting input) What is that for?

Clock3 yrs

This is due to the way we integrate iTerm2 in RDM. Those menu items are remnants of the iTerm2 application but do not actually work in the context of our app. I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

We'll put this on our TODO list but I cannot yet give you a time frame. We'll keep you inform on our progress.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock3 yrs

Thanks a lot!

Clock3 yrs

Hi,

RDM version 4.2.0.0 is now out and include this feature. The auto updater should propose you the update somewhere in the next 24 hours when you launch the app. You can also download it here: https://mac.remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/Download

To add an iTerm tab to the broadcast right click on it's tab, go to Broadcast Input menu item and click on the Add to Broadcast menu item:
AddToBroadcast

Since I believed it could quickly become confusing with multiple tabs in possibly multiple windows, I took the liberty to add a little Manage Broadcast window that display, in a list, all currently opened iTerm sessions with there status (regarding the broadcast):
ManageBroadcast

I must admit, there was one of your point I wasn't sure about: "broadcast should work only for active windows(if they split, for example)". Do not hesitate to tell me if you see any possible improvement.

Since I'm not familiar with the feature (or iTerm, for that matter), I couldn't really test a lot of use cases. I would be most grateful if you could report to me any issue you find.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

AddToBroadcast.png
ManageBroadcast.png
Clock3 yrs

That's amazing! Thanks a lot! Your implementation even better than I imagined.

Clock3 yrs