Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Keyboard mapping for rap on Mac

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

It would be great, when the rdp implementation of RDM could automatically switch the keys for ^° to <> and the @ to alt+l , so the user could use the Mac keyboard without taking care of these switched keys.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

First, I'd like to ask of what keyboard layouts your referring to (both on your Windows and Mac)?

Sending me an image of those layouts with the specific key combinations your referring to would also help me.

Lastly, is this a feature you've seen on any other software (Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac for example)? It could give me an idea of what you want and exactly how you want it.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

In my case its german mac to german windows... I see it will get hard to do it for all possible layouts. But due to the fact, that you developed your own rdp implementation, you do just somehow send the client key strokes to the remote host, so a user definable key mapping config could be possible.

For example the @ is on alt alt+q on windows ans on alt+l on mac ... plus the exaple of the initial post

Pressing alt+l (@ om the mac layout) should send an alt+q to the windows machine.

Clock2 yrs

So if I added, let's say, a settings in RDP in the form of a list view where you would enter a key combination on a left cell and then what you want to be sent to Windows on the right cell as an other key combination, would that fit your need?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Yes, this could work.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,

RDM 4.2.0.0 is now out and include this feature. You should be notified by RDM auto updater to update when launching the app somewhere in the next 24 hours. You can also download it directly here: https://forum.devolutions.net/topic27200-keyboard-mapping-for-rap-on-mac.aspx?lastpage=1#post100944

You can find the Shortcuts Mapping section for RDP sessions in the app preferences under Session Type -> RDP -> Shortcuts. To add shortcut mapping, click on the "+" button:
RDPShortcuts

Then, you can set your shortcut mapping:
RDPSetShortcut

Be aware, this settings is global for the app and will apply for all embedded RDP sessions you start in RDM.

Tell me if you find any issue.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

RDPShortcuts.png
RDPSetShortcut.png
Clock2 yrs