Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

SSH forwarder auto reconnect

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi Guys,

Please add auto-reconnect feature to SSH forwarder - otherwise I need to reconnect it manually each time it disconnects (for me it's unusable).

Thanks.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
Do you have an explanation why it disconnect? Is it related to a idle timeout? I'm asking this question to get more information on where we will need to detect an automatic disconnect.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Our office ISP randomly drops the connection to our prod server - which requires re-connection. till now we used Bitvise tunnlier which handles it automatically and seamlessly - once switched to RDM - each time it disconnects, we need to reconnect it manually, this is very time consuming.

This is a basic functionality in my opinion - the same as the auto reconnect in Microsoft Remote Desktop connection type.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
Thank you for the details. We will do our best to implement this but I want to clarify a thing. It's not a simple feature. You mentioned auto reconnect from RDP but this is not implemented in FreeRDP which is the Open Source version of RDP. This is a very comprehensive library but even this is not simple. The hardest part is to avoid an infinite loop with a normal disconnect and a connection dropped.

Anyway I see that this would be very useful.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,

I meant the auto reconnect you've implemented in RDM when I use "Microsoft Remote Desktop" connection type.

The autoreconnect I've asked for (and currently missing) is for SSH forwarder connection type.

Just to clarify.

Clock2 yrs

I have to be honest, it's not implementation for RDP. It's in the Microsoft ActiveX directly.

Anyway I've already asked the guy to check if it's possible. Do you know if Putty does that?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Do you mean the Keep tab open on Disconnect?

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

No, I meant an actual reconnect of the ssh session. Don't know if it exists in Putty, we use Bitvise and it does support it. see image:

Another simple use case - put the pc to sleep -> return from sleep -> need to reconnect manually.

Capture.PNG
Clock2 yrs

Thank you for the details. We will try to add this.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hello,

We will have a reconnect option available in the next version of RDM 12. It will be located in the advanced tab of the SSH Tunnel and Portforward entries.

Regards,

Hubert Mireault

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Great to hear!!

Do you have an ETA? or maybe you can update this topic once it's released?

Clock2 yrs

Hello Pavel,
Most of our staff are in vacation during the Holidays but I could release a new beta Monday. The only thing is that we won't be able to fix any issue until our return on Januray 3rd.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi David,

A beta would be great.

Clock2 yrs

Hi,
I have released a new beta with the auto reconnect

https://remotedesktopmanager.com/Home/ThankYou?f=RDMsetupBeta

Let me know if it helps

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Great! Enterprise version purchased smile

By the way - you have a bug in the SSH forwarder - the free version allows only a single entry, but you can bypass it by loading a CSV and it works.

Thanks.

Clock2 yrs

Just to confirm, the auto reconnect works fine? I will check the bug in the free edition.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

At the moment yes, but need to test it over time to make sure.

Clock2 yrs