Forum / Wayk Now - Bug Report

List of problems found so far, ID, certificates, warnings...

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I was testing here, happy that the app is small and establishes quickly a connection. My feedback:

1. Doesn’t allow you to type anything on the connected remote computer
2. The ID is a local IP address, we can’t connect using internet or behind a firewall
3. When someone connect to my machine, my machine behaves incredibly slow, moving windows is like at refresh rate of 1 FPS
4. When you connect, the end user doesn’t receive any warning that you connected there
5. When you try to connect for the first time you get asked for a certificate

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to test Wayk Now and provide feedback. Here are my comments:

1. This is not normal. Can you tell me which operating system and version you are using on both the client and server? You should definitely be able to use the keyboard on the remote computer.
2. The current version of the product does not offer NAT traversal capabilities, but it is planned for the future. We understand the necessity for NAT traversal, but it is a significant development effort in itself.
3. Again, this is not normal. You mean that the local machine becomes very slow when someone is connected? Can you check in the task manager if the Wayk Now process appears to be using too much CPU?
4. This is a known usability issue which we will address soon. Others have already reported it.
5. I understand what you mean, but silently ignoring certificates by default would be a security issue. We have a couple of ideas on how we could simplify this, but we don't want to implement them too soon at the cost of reduced security.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

1- using Win7 PRO on one site and Windows 10 PRO on the other side, we could not make control of keyboard work on either side
2- I believe that would be a major feature to focus the developing efforts next
3- the local machine gets very slow when someone connects remotely, the same happened to the other side when I connected to his machine, the user reported the machine was crawling. I didn't check CPU usage at the time, it was drawing windows, resizing things, it was horribly slow
4- ok
5- ok

Overall I think there is a big potential, especially because it can have better integration with RDM and cost less. Teamviewer is greedy and we will not givem them more money and we are looking for alternatives. I would rather give the money to you guys to help develop it and pay for an enterprise license

Clock4 yrs

1. The keyboard doesn't work, but the mouse works, on both sides? This is a really odd problem, but I am unsure what could potentially cause this. Is this 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Is there anything special about the environment (restricted rights, etc)? What puzzles me is that if mouse input works, then the keyboard input should definitely work as well. If the problem isn't on the server, it would be on the client. One way to tell which one it is would be to connect to another machine where keyboard input is known to work from one of the two machines showing this problem. If keyboard input works, then it is in the server.
2. Agreed.
3. Without more information, it is hard to diagnose the problem, but it looks like an infinite loop of some kind. Enable logging by going into the Options dialog, under Advanced/Logging and set the Logging level to "Debug". Restart the program for the changes to take effect. To collect the logs, click the "Show in folder" button right under the Logging level.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

This is just to let you know that we have reproduced the keyboard issue. We still have a few things to test here, and we will produce a new beta release with related bug fixes.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

We have just released the 0.9.2 beta with fixes for the keyboard issue (1) and the slow system problem (3):
https://forum.devolutions.net/topic26803-wayk-now-beta-update.aspx

Please let me know if it works for you.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

I've tested here, keyboard works, the refresh rate now is okayish as well when someone connects to your machine and you still are using, you notice a drop on the frame rate but not as bad as it was before.

on MAC el captain 10.11.6 it crashes when trying to connect to another machine running the windows client.

From windows client I can connect just fine to MAC, good refresh rate, I just noticed a bit weird scrolling when using chrome on mac, not sure if it is a mac or a wayk weird way of doing things.

Clock4 yrs

Refresh rate over long distance with 180ms latency and 10mbit bandwidth is awful, both remote and local user experience is really bad. We have openvpn tunnels to other branches and it is not possible to use wayk.

Bandwidth usage is a concern, evne in idle I see about 1mbit upload from the client machine on 1080p, that is without even the mouse cursor moving
when scrolling, about 1.5-2mbit usage, the barely usable.

So far over 150ms connection is it not usable.

Clock4 yrs

Hi,

We haven't yet worked on optimizing performance in very high latency scenarios (> 150ms is quite something). However, we do plan on supporting those cases correctly. The current version of the protocol does not do advanced adaptation of the graphics depending on the network performance, but it should work well on LAN or on good quality connections. We are still using TCP, and there should be a first batch of improvements available as we introduce a UDP transport.

As for the encoding process, it isn't as elaborated as we wish it to be in the future. The images are encoded using a modified jpeg codec, and we have our own code to detect the changes in between frames, such that we only send what has changed. Scrolling has the problem of moving a lot of pixels multiple times per second, causing a cascade of graphical updates. The only way to properly handle those cases is to work on getting hints from the operating system on where pixels have likely moved, confirm that we have properly detected the pixel movement, and encode it separately. This requires a lot more work, but we do plan on having this kind of improvement.

In other words, what you currently have is definitely not final, we plan on developing this much further. I am well aware of many of the difficulties involved in encoding remote desktop content with my experience with the FreeRDP project.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs

Hi Marc-Andre,

If we can change the quality settings manually it will be already a good point to start. We have branches in different countries and we have latency for example in this case I used.

I wonder if for scrolling fast you can lower the quality of the jpeg considerably as in high quality it will just skip frames and feel sluggish. With lower quality just for the scrolling part, at least it feels smooth and when the scrolling slows down or stops, the quality of that section increases.

Yep, I completely understand it is not close to the final product, but I believe you guys do a great job with RDM which my company benefits a lot from, and surely you will achieve the same result and hopefully I can help with my feedback

Clock4 yrs

Hi,
You can change the desired quality mode on the client in Options -> Advanced -> Quality Mode. The quality mode is fixed for the moment, we will work on using an adaptive quality mode in the future.

Marc-André Moreau

signaturesignature

Clock4 yrs